[SOLVED] showing a window while a user is editing a QLineEdit field

• Is there a way that I could popup a window while a user is editing a QLineEdit field without interrupting the edit process?

• Maybe "QToolTip":http://developer.qt.nokia.com/doc/qt-4.7/qtooltip.html will be enough for you?

• Perhaps you can use a QCompleter in popupCompleter mode? What do you want to achieve exactly?

• If you need a complete window, and popup is not enough for you, you have to manually catch the signal of editing, open a new window, place it in the screen, and set the focus back to the edit component. It depends on what are you needs.

• Well the tooltip seems to work only with mouse over, perhaps I can generate an event to get it to show up instead. I have not tried the popup but I supposed it would of done the same thing. Will give it a try. As for fluca1978's solution, I want to make sure there are no simpler implementations before going that route but thanks for the idea.

Here is what I want to do: When the user is filling in data that is invalid, I want to show a non obtrusive message to this regard, ie it will not interrupt the process of editing the field. Now I have all the code written to validate the data and I am currently implementing this message with a QMessageBox but this ends the editing process and the user needs to close the box and reenable editing.

• This basically works for me:

@
    void MainWindow::displayToolTip()
    {
    QPoint pos = mapToGlobal(ui->textEdit->pos());
    QToolTip::showText(pos, QString("The text edit has %1 chars").arg(ui->textEdit->toPlainText().count()));
    }
    @

• [quote author="Volker" date="1320789006"]This basically works for me:

@
    void MainWindow::displayToolTip()
    {
    QPoint pos = mapToGlobal(ui->textEdit->pos());
    QToolTip::showText(pos, QString("The text edit has %1 chars").arg(ui->textEdit->toPlainText().count()));
    }
    @

[/quote]

I did this originally but the tooltip wasn't alway showing, probably due to me making the changes too fast. thanks.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.