Connecting custom slots whith signals using Qt Designer

• Hi,
    I defined some slots in form.cpp, can I connecting them with signals using Qt Designer (i.e. by selecting them from a list) ?

• No, this is not possible, as Qt Designer does not have knowledge of the slots you've added to your class.

• Indeed, no. However, perhaps you can use the autoconnect syntax for naming your slots, so they get connected automatically?

• Thanks, the syntax is as follows :

@void on_<object name>_<signal name>(<signal parameters>);@

but if I have to connect it with multiple signals what's the naming?

• You cannot do that automatically, you will have to do that manually from code. Note that even for the autoconnect syntax above, there is a snag. The object names from designer by default contain underscores ("pushbutton_2"), but those get in the way of the auto connect magic. It is a good idea to rename widgets on your forms to something more informative anyway, but you will have to do that if you want to use the autoconnect features.

Personally, I don't really like that feature at all, and prefer to have all connections made explicitly to methods that I can then give a proper name. Sometimes onMyButtonClicked may be an appropriate name for a slot, but most often I want to describe the actual action (moveToAdvancedState) instead of describing what triggered its execution. Also, the mechanism promotes non-Qt like naming for methods. The Qt API uses camel casing for method names, not underscores.

• Thank you very much for these interesting informations.
    I think that connecting visually a custom slot with one or more custom signals without using autoconnect syntax for naming is very innovative feature that it can be added easily by a simple parsing of the .h file.

• No, it cannot be added easily. Designer does not know of the use of your form.ui file at all - which is a good thing™. You might want to use it in a QUiLoader which doesn't have that surrounding class, etc. It would only work with a very limited use case of the forms and I'm not convinced whether it's worth the effort.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.