QPushButton Overlay Color

• Well I basically was to make a QPushButton which has a color contained with in it, basically a box with a color overlapped on top of a button. When you press the button it'll open a QColorDialog which you than pick a color, setting the color overlapped on top of the button to the newly selected color. I'd prefer to not make a new control so I was wondering if there is a way to do this.

• The easiest way to do it is to reimplement paintEvent().
    Something like (not tested)
    @void ColorButton::paintEvent( QPaintEvent* event )
    {
    QPainter painter( this );
    painter.setBrush( QBrush( currentColor_ ) );
    painter.drawRect( event->rect() );
    }@

• In your reimplementation, you forgot to include a call to the base class implementation. The code above will only draw the square.

@

void ColorButton::paintEvent( QPaintEvent* event )
    {
    QPushButton::paintEvent(event); // <-- do not forget this line

QPainter painter( this );
    painter.setBrush( QBrush( currentColor_ ) );
    painter.drawRect( event->rect() );

}
    @

You might also considder just creating a pixmap, and setting that on the button with setPixmap if the color changes. You can do that either in a subclass or separately from the button code.

• Andre, that was intentionally. Both of yours and mine functions will draw only a rectangle (painter.drawRect( event->rect() ) completely paints out base button) so there is no need to call base class implementation.

• Doh, you are right of course.

Then again, I would not draw the rectangle over the whole button, normally. But indeed, my version too will yield the same result at lower performance than yours.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.