Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

using QSerialPort with CMake

• Hi,

I am new to Qt and have created my first project using Qt Creator which works just fine, now I would like to take my project outside of Qt Creator and use CMake in the building process. I have successfully build a 'hello world' and simple GUI example but I am getting stuck on my own project since it uses the QSerialPort library which CMake can't seem to find.

My CMakeList.txt

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.5)
    project (Qt_cmake_test)

set(CMAKE_INCLUDE_CURRENT_DIR ON)
    set(CMAKE_AUTOMOC ON)
    set(CMAKE_AUTOUIC ON)

find_package(Qt5 CONFIG REQUIRED Core Widgets Gui PrintSupport SerialPort)

set(project_src
        mainwindow.ui
        mainwindow.cpp
        qcustomplot.cpp
        serial.cpp
        main.cpp
    )

add_executable(${PROJECT_NAME} ${project_src})

target_link_libraries(${PROJECT_NAME} 
    	Qt5::Core
    	Qt5::Gui
    	Qt5::Widgets
    	Qt5::PrintSupport
    	Qt5::SerialPort
    	)

when running CMake this produces the following output

CMake Error at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/Qt5/Qt5Config.cmake:28 (find_package):
      Could not find a package configuration file provided by "Qt5SerialPort"
      with any of the following names:

Qt5SerialPortConfig.cmake
        qt5serialport-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of "Qt5SerialPort" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
      "Qt5SerialPort_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files.  If
      "Qt5SerialPort" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it
      has been installed.
    Call Stack (most recent call first):
      CMakeLists.txt:8 (find_package)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
    See also "/home/willem/Desktop/Qt-serialPlot_cmake/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

I've already tries to export the path as prompted but this only seems to create a different problem (compatibility issue with /usr/lib/x86_65-linux-gnu/ files). To me the issue seems that CMake cant find QSerialPlot since the support for it lacks in /usr/lib/x86_65-linux-gnu/

Do any of you have any experience with this? or experience on how to convert the library to use with CMake?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

@willem_vdk this is on Linux, right?

How did you install Qt? Did you install QtSerialPort?

• Hi @aha_1980 Yes this is on linux (Ubuntu 18.04) I installed QSerialPort through the installation of Qt Creator using the run installer (downloaded from https://www.qt.io/download). QSerialPort seems to work fine when building and running my project from Qt Creator.

• Aha i solved it thanks to @aha_1980 hint
    I needed to install the 'libqt5serialport5-dev' package
    Thanks!