Microsoft OneDrive Sync uses Qt and is hiring (Seattle, USA)

  • Greetings,

    My team at Microsoft builds features within the OneDrive Sync client. That little cloud icon that you see in your systray - click it if you are signed into OneDrive - that window that shows your sync activity is written in Qt! And we are hiring. Job is in Redmond,WA.

    OneDrive Activity Center

    Although our team is the "OneDrive Sync UX" team, about 25% of what we actually do is what you'd call "UI programming". The other 75% is spent building great features on top of the sync engine that keeps your local OneDrive folder mirrored with the contents in the cloud and replicated to your other devices. We often need to go "full stack" and touch parts of the core sync engine, networking components, authentication, and setup. Much of what we do is deeper integration with Windows, MacOS, and Microsoft Office. We also work at making deployment scenarios of the sync client easier for IT administrators. We've adopted Qt as our solution for all our new cross-platform UI for Windows and Mac. You see one shipping feature above. There are more on the way.

    The formal job description is below.
    Interested candidates are encourage to follow up with me directly: (jselbie at microsoft dot com).


    The OneDrive Sync team is currently executing on our vision to be the cloud store for anywhere access to your data. Each month, hundreds of millions of people around the world use OneDrive to store and interact with their most important data. We’re focused on delivering an awesome customer experience with best-in-breed solutions across multiple platforms including deep integration into Windows, Mac, and Office.

    As an engineer on the OneDrive Sync team, you will work with your counterparts in Program Management and Service Management to design, implement, stabilize, and monitor new features that bring the OneDrive cloud to customers in new and powerful ways. You will work with smart passionate people and have an incredible opportunity to learn, grow and have significant impact. The OneDrive Sync team currently has positions available to work on client software that is cross-compiled for Windows and Mac OS X. We are looking for passionate people with the desire to try big things, people who are curious and can go deep into the lowest layers of a complex system. We want people who have a clear customer point-of-view. The most important trait we look for is raw passion for technology and for the space that we are in with OneDrive. We want people who are fanatical about the cloud, who use OneDrive or even the competitors’ products, and who want to change the game by working on OneDrive.

    Basic qualifications:
    • 1+ years of programming, software engineering, and/or software development experience

    Preferred qualifications:
    • Experience with implementing user interfaces for desktop or mobile platforms
    • Previous experience with implementing user interfaces with Qt or QML
    • Experience writing/debugging/deploying highly multithreaded and asynchronous systems code.

    Skills and qualifications:
    • 2+ years of shipping production software
    • A Bachelor or Master degree in Computer Science or a related discipline or the equivalent
    • Strong design, programming and debugging skills in C, C++, Objective-C, Java, or C#.
    • Previous experience building features with Internet technologies using HTTP, HTTPS, REST, XML, or JSON


    Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to

Log in to reply

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.