Chrome extension for improved doc searches

• Moderators

Hi all,

Have you ever tried to use Google to search the Qt documentation? Perhaps you wanted to look up a Qt feature during development, or to find a link to back up your post in this forum. I do both of these a lot, but often get poor results -- pages based on Qt 4.7 or Harmattan development are displayed more regularly than pages based on Qt 5.2.

Enter Qt Doc Search, a little extension for Google Chrome that makes searching more pleasant. It lets you quickly search the official Qt docs, while telling Google to only return results for a particular Qt version.

Enjoy!

Links

How do I use it?
    Type [q] [d] [space] into the address bar, then enter your search term. Done.

To choose a different Qt version, click on the Qt button next to the address bar.

What about other browsers?
    I have no plans to support other browsers at the moment, mainly because I don't use them and don't know how to write extensions/plug-ins for them.

However, feel free to study the source code and make your own extension. The important file is background.js.

Why [q] [d] [space]?
    Because this combination lets me comfortably initiate a search using just one hand.

[EDIT, 2016-03-20: Removed references to Doc Notes and other Chrome extensions, which were only valid for the old qt-project.org site -- JKSH]

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.