Concatenating strings: instantiating QString?

• Hi.

It's been a while since I don't post here because it's been a while without Qt/C++ coding, so I'm very rusty. I'm so rusty that the title is probably very bad (feel free to suggest a better one). What I mean is the following:

In the Qt documentation there is an example that says something like this:
    @
    QString locale = QLocale::system().name();
    translator.load(QString("filename_") + locale);
    @

My question is: why wrapping "filename_" in a QString? Without it, the variable that is already of type QString can be concatenated with the literal char*. Isn't this instantiation of QString unnecessary? Or it happens implicitly anyway? And if it happens implicitly anyway, isn't that longer to write for no reason?

I know it sounds picky, but I want to understand well this kind of things, because I think it can cause real errors in other cases if I don't know 100% of what I'm doing. :)

Thank you guys.

• Moderators

Not sure, it might have something to do with the addition of QStringBuilder and QStringLiteral. QSB used to throw errors for char* and QString concatenation. Or maybe just some random QString addition. Maintaining so huge documentation is not easy :)

• You could try

@
    translator.load("filename_" + locale);
    @

Now the first string is a simple character array. This would not work, because the + operator for it is not defined to concatenate strings.

• @
    QString("filename_") + locale
    @

Does always work, as there is no implicit conversion applied.

@
    "filename_" + locale
    @

Does work if you do not have defined QT_NO_CAST_FROM_ASCII. I.e. it can break in a different build environment.

@miroslav
    Qt defines an operator with char array left hand and QString righthand:

@
    // in qstring.h

ifndef QT_NO_CAST_FROM_ASCII

// ...
    inline QT_ASCII_CAST_WARN const QString operator+(const char *s1, const QString &s2)
    { QString t = QString::fromAscii(s1); t += s2; return t; }
    @

• Whoot? That is evil :-)
    Nevertheless, I stand corrected.

• Not every evil is bad :-)
    Some leftovers from Qt 3 times, I would guess.

• Volker/Miro, are you saying one shouldn't use this easier way of concatenating strings anymore in Qt4 and 5 ("evil", "leftover")?

I use it all the time, it feels like a very natural way of handling strings. :/
    (Yeah I know the tr("...%1%2..").arg(..).arg(..) technique is the way to go for many gui strings, but sometimes it's just easier and sufficient to just concatenate with the overloaded char* + operator...)

• I am not saying concatenating strings using + is wrong. Far from it. But it should only be applied to class types.

What I am saying is that overloading the + operator with a left hand argument of a primitive type is evil. A const char* is effectively the address of some memory, and the semantics of operator+() for such types are defined, if archaic.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.