What is optimal way to manipulate with large data QByteArray or char* dinamic array?

• Can QByteArray store and manipulate with data over 10 000 bytes,
    Or better use another data types such as char* ?

• The best datastructure to use depends for a very large part on what you want to use the data for. That is: how do you plan to access the data? Do you plan to manipulate the data? Do insertions? Appends? In-place modifications? Do you need indexes? Searches? Etc. Etc. Just by giving a size, there is no way to advice you a datastructure to use. Of course QByteArray can handle more than 10kb.

• Well?, i use byte array as copy of device memory. After getting variables i need and make changes which i need upload the data back into device.

• And about QByteArray:
    Its very good solution for me, but it's impossible modify bytes, and i remove byte and insert new byte in removed place.
    Is realy impossible edit bytes stored in byte array?

• I would go for another solution then. Create a struct which maps the layout of you device data and then copy the data into it. This keeps your code much more readable then fiddling with char* or QByteArray.

@
    typedef struct
    {
    uint8 flagA;
    uint32 variableA;
    uint32 variableB;
    uint8 fieldA[1024];
    uint8 fieldB[1024];
    } DeviceData;

DeviceData deviceData;

getDeviceData(&deviceData);

deviceData.flagA = 1;
    deviceData.variableA = 1024;
    memcpy(deviceData.fieldA, someData, 1024);

setDeviceData(&deviceData);
    @

• Lukas is right. However, you can modify the contents of QByteArray in-place, if you want to. The [] operator is one way to do it.

• Well i have whole class which get data by name of variables, but types of devices are about 20 kinds. And 40%-70% of variables are similar, this reason to not create new class type for every device. I use different methods for different devices, which are has access to data stored in bytearray.

• I'm not quite sure if I understand your last post correctly, but if it is about just storing a bunch of data with random access then I see no sense in using anything other than char* (or whatever alignment you prefer).

• [quote author="Andre" date="1322065867"]Lukas is right. However, you can modify the contents of QByteArray in-place, if you want to. The [] operator is one way to do it.[/quote]

[] operator is exactly what i need and it works.

• [quote author="Lukas Geyer" date="1322068030"]I'm not quite sure if I understand your last post correctly, but if it is about just storing a bunch of data then I see no sense in using anything other than char* (or whatever alignment you prefer).[/quote]

And again sorry for my English :).
    QByteArray has a couple of useful features, and also has the ability to access data through operator []. As Andre said, 10k is easy for QByteArray.
    For my case it's enough.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.