Qt binary creator: Installation of own package on top of old version

• I use Qt binary creator with a command like

binarycreator.exe -v -f -p packages -c config/config.xml myTool.exe

to create an installer with my software version 1.0.

If I create a new version 1.1 of my software and a new myTool.exe file, then during the installation of this new version 1.1 I am told that an old version already exists in that directory and that the installation cannot proceed. Of course there is an old version 1.0 in that installation directory, but I want to overwrite it with this new version 1.1. How can I do it? I want that this one installer does an update of the installed software if there is an older version or a new install if there is no version installed.

Thanks.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to the forums
    Seems like you can do

function Controller()
    {
        installer.autoRejectMessageBoxes();
        installer.setMessageBoxAutomaticAnswer( "OverwriteTargetDirectory", QMessageBox.Yes );

// ...
    }

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37940198/qt-installer-overwrite-previous-version

• Hi,

that doesn't seem to work, and stackoverflow comments seem to back that up, my install script is now this

function Component()
    {
        // default constructor
    }

Component.prototype.createOperations = function()
    {
        // call default implementation to actually install README.txt!
        component.createOperations();

if (systemInfo.productType === "windows") 
    	{
    component.addOperation("CreateShortcut", "@TargetDir@/start.bat", "@StartMenuDir@/start.lnk", "workingDirectory=@TargetDir@", "iconPath=@TargetDir@/start.ico");

component.addOperation("CreateShortcut", "@TargetDir@/start2.bat", "@StartMenuDir@/start2.lnk", "workingDirectory=@TargetDir@", "iconPath=@TargetDir@/start2.ico");

component.addOperation("CreateShortcut", "@TargetDir@/Config.exe", "@StartMenuDir@/Setup.lnk", "workingDirectory=@TargetDir@", "iconPath=@TargetDir@/setup.ico");

}

}

function Controller()
    {
        installer.autoRejectMessageBoxes();
        installer.setMessageBoxAutomaticAnswer( "OverwriteTargetDirectory", QMessageBox.Yes );

// ...
    }

The error I see is

0_1545145516562_qt-installer-error.jpg

My assumption is that I am asking for a very basic feature. The error report linked to stackoverflow doesn't make much hope, 4 years old...

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.