Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Could slot function and mouseMoveEvent be possibly excuted concurrently in a muti-cores machine?

• class MyScene : public QGraphicsScene
    {

MyScene()
        {

m_mouseEventEnabled = false;
            thread.start();
            connect(&thread, SIGNAL(finished()), this, SLOT(mouseEventEnabledSlot()));

}

public slots:

void mouseEventEnabledSlot()
        {
            m_mouseEventEnabled = true;
        }

protected:

void mouseMoveEvent(QGraphicsSceneMouseEvent* event)
        {
            if (m_mouseEventEnabled)
            {
                do_mouse_move_thing();
            }
        }

private:

bool m_mouseEventEnabled;
        MyThread thread;

}

Just as the code show, when the thread finishes, m_mouseEventEnabled will be set to true, for variable m_mouseEventEnabled, this is a writing behavior,

but the m_mouseEventEnabled in function mouseMoveEvent may always do a reading behavior,

The program will be run in a muti-cores machine, and what I want to know is that whether the two behaviors can possibly excute concurrently?

( I know little about the underlying implementation mechanism in Qt, but after I google the relevant articles, I think it will never happen, just my plain view).

• change bool m_mouseEventEnabled; to std::atomic_bool m_mouseEventEnabled;. The rest should work

• @VRonin What you mean is the two behaviors can be excuted concurrently ?

• Qt Champions 2019

@Limer said in Could slot function and mouseMoveEvent be possibly excuted concurrently in a muti-cores machine?:

What you mean is the two behaviors can be excuted concurrently ?

yes

• Moderators

Normally, a widget's slot functions and event functions are run in the GUI thread.

It is possible to run function concurrently from mouseMoveEvent() by running the function in a different thread. However, it is best to implement that function in a different class (unless you really really know what you are doing)