Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Help - QTcpSocket call errorString return wrong string in special case.

• I have a issue with QTcpSocket.
    When I connectToHost with argument ("", 0) and looping with interval 500ms , action get errorString() make crash program.

bool stop = false;
    QTcpSocket* partnerSocket = new QTcpSocket();

class TaskPool : public QRunnable
    {
        void run() override
        {
            while (!stop) {
              partnerSocket -> connectToHost("", 0);
              qDebug() << this << "Socket State" << (int)partnerSocket->state();
              qDebug() << "Socket Error String : " << partnerSocket -> errorString();
              QThread::msleep(500);
            }
        }
    };

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    {
        QCoreApplication::setAttribute(Qt::AA_EnableHighDpiScaling);
        QGuiApplication app(argc, argv);

TaskPool* task = new TaskPool();
        QThreadPool::globalInstance()->start(task);
        QQmlApplicationEngine engine;
        engine.load(QUrl(QLatin1String("qrc:/main.qml")));

return app.exec();
    }

After about 20min, errorString return some wrong string : empty or unicode string \u*** and program crashed.
    errorString() is member method of QIODevice, so i think QIODevice has the issue with memory.

Solution:

1. Void this case by using signal of QAbstractSocket to handle error and reconnect
    2. Using waitForConnected for blocking socket when you synchonize progress.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to the forums
    Is that code enough to reproduce it?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

You need a running event loop to use QTcpSocket. With your code you block the event loop. I don't think that will work.

Also, what is the use of connecting to a host (which one?) every 500 ms. What do you think happens with the old connection in partnerSocket?

I would not be surprised if this code has memory leaks.

• @mrjj : oh, because i edited when type on web :D. I updated code block to confirm.
    Thanks.

• @aha_1980 : i think, too. But i checked source code connectToHost in case return HostNotFound, I can't see something wrong to memory leak.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Since you are interested in possible failures, why not use waitForConnected ?

• @SGaist : I think the problem can make crash in other case , so i need investigate about it.
    I changed source code using signal error() to handle error message and reconnect when state is disconnected. The program is good look.
    But i can't understand about that problem.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

One question is: why are you retrieving the error message right after calling connectToHost since you know that this operation may take time and the function is not blocking ?

• @SGaist : This is bug of my friend. He unknow about not blocking socket. I investigated and fix this bug.
    I think QIODevice has bug with errorString (QIODevice is valid but errorString wrong). And I can't descript about this crash issue.
    Maybe I will investigate later.
    Thank for your help !