Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

QT Looking for Signal in parent class, rather than derived class.

• I have a ButtonPanel widget that I use as a base widget for a couple of different ButtonPanels with different configuration.

In each derived class, I am trying to connect signals for that particular class, but when I try to connect the signals, I get an error:

QObject::connect: No such signal ButtonPanel::mostRecentPatientBtn_Clicked() in ..welcomebuttonpanel.cpp:6

So it seems QT is looking for the signal in ButtonPanel, the parent class, and not finding the signal in WelcomeButtonPanel, the derived class.

The base class is ButtonPanel:

Header:

#ifndef BUTTONPANEL_H
    #define BUTTONPANEL_H

#include <QPushButton>
    #include <QVBoxLayout>
    #include "customwidget.h"

class ButtonPanel : public CustomWidget
    {
        Q_OBJECT
    public:
        explicit ButtonPanel(QWidget *parent = nullptr);

signals:

public slots:
    };

#endif // BUTTONPANEL_H

Source:

#include "buttonpanel.h"
    #include "uiutils.h"

ButtonPanel::ButtonPanel(QWidget *parent) : CustomWidget(parent)
    {

this->setStyleSheet("QPushButton {font: bold 22px 'Arial'; color: white; background-color: navy;"
                            "border: 3px solid #232323;"
                            "border-radius: 15px;}"
                            "QPushButton#powerOffBtn {background: red;}");

//other unrelated code here

}

The derived class is WelcomeButtonPanel:

Header

#ifndef WELCOMEBUTTONPANEL_H
    #define WELCOMEBUTTONPANEL_H

#include "buttonpanel.h"

class WelcomeButtonPanel : public ButtonPanel
    {
    public:
        WelcomeButtonPanel();

signals:
        void mostRecentPatientBtn_Clicked();
        void newPatientBtn_Clicked();
        void managePatientsBtn_Clicked();
        void settingsBtn_Clicked();
        void powerOffBtn_Clicked();

private:
    };

#endif // WELCOMEBUTTONPANEL_H

Source:

#include "welcomebuttonpanel.h"

WelcomeButtonPanel::WelcomeButtonPanel()
    {
        QPushButton *mostRecentPatientBtn = new QPushButton("Most Recent\nPatient");
        connect(mostRecentPatientBtn, SIGNAL(clicked()), this, SIGNAL(mostRecentPatientBtn_Clicked()));
        QPushButton *newPatientBtn = new QPushButton("New\nPatient");
        connect(newPatientBtn, SIGNAL(clicked()), this, SIGNAL(newPatientBtn_Clicked()));
        QPushButton *managePatientsBtn = new QPushButton("Manage\nPatients");
        connect(managePatientsBtn, SIGNAL(clicked()), this, SIGNAL(managePatientsBtn_Clicked()));
        QPushButton *settingsBtn = new QPushButton("Settings");
        connect(settingsBtn, SIGNAL(clicked()), this, SIGNAL(settingsBtn_Clicked()));
        QPushButton *emptyBtn = new QPushButton;
        QPushButton *powerOffBtn = new  QPushButton("Power\nOff");
        connect(powerOffBtn, SIGNAL(clicked()), this, SIGNAL(powerOffBtn_Clicked()));

mostRecentPatientBtn->setSizePolicy(QSizePolicy::Expanding, QSizePolicy::Expanding);
        newPatientBtn->setSizePolicy(QSizePolicy::Expanding, QSizePolicy::Expanding);
        managePatientsBtn->setSizePolicy(QSizePolicy::Expanding, QSizePolicy::Expanding);
        settingsBtn->setSizePolicy(QSizePolicy::Expanding, QSizePolicy::Expanding);
        emptyBtn->setSizePolicy(QSizePolicy::Expanding, QSizePolicy::Expanding);
        powerOffBtn->setSizePolicy(QSizePolicy::Expanding, QSizePolicy::Expanding);

QVBoxLayout *layout = new QVBoxLayout;
        layout->setMargin(15);
        layout->setSpacing(15);
        layout->addWidget(mostRecentPatientBtn, 1);
        layout->addWidget(newPatientBtn, 1);
        layout->addWidget(managePatientsBtn, 1);
        layout->addWidget(settingsBtn, 1);
        layout->addWidget(emptyBtn, 1);
        layout->addWidget(powerOffBtn, 1);

emptyBtn->hide();

this->setLayout(layout);
    }

In this code, I try to connect each button clicked signal to a WelcomeButtonPanel signal as described here. However, I get errors on all the lines that try to connect the slots with No such signal ButtonPanel::mostrecentPatientBtn_Clicked(), so it is obviously not finding the slot in WelcomeButtonPanel.

How can I fix this issue?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

First thing I can see is that you are missing the Q_OBJECT macro in your class.

Don’t forget to re-run qmake after adding it and before building your application.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

First thing I can see is that you are missing the Q_OBJECT macro in your class.

Don’t forget to re-run qmake after adding it and before building your application.

• @SGaist facepalm Well, you were right. I included it in the base class, where I didn't need it, and not in the derived class, where I do need it, and ended up reading too far into the error message to realize.

Thank you!