ProxyModel to filter a Model from an item that is not the root? or subModel from an Item?

• Hello,
    I'm having one main QStandardItemModel and I would like to filter it via a Proxy but not from the root item of my model.
    For example, let's say my model is this:

+ Project
       + DataSet
           + Type 1 (2 elems)
               + Elem 1_1
               + Elem 1_1
           + Type 2 (1 elem)
               + Elem 2_1
           + Type 3 (1 elem)
              + Elem 3_1

I would like to be able to filter a certain Types but without displaying the Project and DataSet.
    Instead of this:

+ Project
       + DataSet
           + Type 1 (2 elems)
               + Elem 1_1
               + Elem 1_1
           + Type 2 (1 elem)
               + Elem 2_1

I'd like this:

+ Type 1 (2 elems)
        + Elem 1_1
        + Elem 1_1
    + Type 2 (1 elem)
        + Elem 2_1  

Do I have to create a new Model with a subset of main one or could I achieve this with a Proxy?

Can we have a "sub" model of a QStandardItemModel that uses the same QStandardItem but a different root?

• Is the structure of your tree fixed? i.e. will you always filter based by the grand-grand-children of root?

• Yes kind of, basically I've a main View that can modify the model, just adding / deleting grand-grand-grand children but the root, the first child and the types (grand-grand children) are fixed.

When I would use the proxy model to show a sub-model as explained, it is for selection only and the Model itself will be fixed during the whole operation.

• @VRonin
    So do you think I could just use a Proxy or do I have to create a copy of the model without the first 2 root items?

• I thought about it but I can't think of an easy solution at the moment. I added it to my to-do list

• @VRonin
    I've just found a solution playing with the QTreeView.
    Basically, I can just use a proxy to exclude the Items I don't want (Type 3 in my example)
    Then it is in the TreeView that I'll hide the two first item by setting the root item:

_ui->treeView->setRootIndex(_treeModel->index(0, 0, _treeModel->index(0, 0)));

In fact it is kind of logic that the View could select what part of a Model it wishes to display

• @mbruel That only works if you only have 1 dataset:

• Project
      • DataSet 1
        • Type 1 (2 elems)
          • Elem 1_1
          • Elem 1_2
        • Type 2 (1 elem)
          • Elem 2_1
      • DataSet 2
        • Type 3 (2 elems)
          • Elem 3_1
          • Elem 3_2
        • Type 4 (1 elem)
          • Elem 4_1

Would not work

• @VRonin
    Yep I'd only have one DataSet.
    I guess if I had several I would want to keep the DataSets in the Tree and just remove the Project so my view would set the root to the index : _ui->treeView->setRootIndex(_treeModel->index(0, 0));

I could get something like this if I filter let's say Type2 and Type 4 in the proxy

• DataSet 1
      • Type 1 (2 elems)
        • Elem 1_1
        • Elem 1_2
    • DataSet 2
      • Type 3 (2 elems)
        • Elem 3_1
        • Elem 3_2

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.