Call PaintEvent in for loop

• Hi guys,

I want to make a scroll test performance. It have to work like that you scroll down a document by 1px then you call paintEvent and this have to happened 1000 times. So in for loop I write:

for(int i=0;i<1000;++i){
        document->m_preview->Scroll(0,1); // perform 1pixel scroll

}

Problem is that the paintEvent is called only on the last scroll call. How can I force to repaint after all calling of scroll function?

update(); repaint() doesn't seems to work!

THX

• @Tony123
    What Qt class is your document->m_preview?

• Moderators

@Tony123 Well, you need to learn one thing: loops block Qt event loop (applies to all event driven applications) as long as they are executed. So, what you see is what you should expect. You should use a timer (QTimer) instead of a blocking loop.

• Try calling QCoreApplication::processEvents() after each 1px scroll

• Moderators

@Asperamanca Please not! This is bad design. OK, for testing I would agree :-)

• @jsulm
    OP states that this is just for a test. Of course such constructs should be avoided in production code.

• Qt Champions 2017

hehe
    If you are feeling guilty ;) , you can always show how to do the
    same thing with QTimer and a lambda.
    But for pure testing, i agree. no harm using QCoreApplication::processEvents()

• If your goal is to measure how many time it takes to paint a widget 1000 times, so QWidget::repaint() is the right choice, otherwise, I would recommend to use QWidget::update() instead of QWidget::repaint(). In this case, using loop and QCoreApplication::processEvents(), I think it will be the same. But with another design, this will let the event-loop repaint the widget only when it's necessary.

• @mrjj said in Call PaintEvent in for loop:

hehe
    If you are feeling guilty , you can always show how to do the
    same thing with QTimer and a lambda.
    But for pure testing, i agree. no harm using QCoreApplication::processEvents()

Not feeling guilty, because for a performance test, combining QTimer and a lambda would make it much harder to measure the actual time spent on repainting after scroll, assuming I understood the OP's intentions here correctly.

QElapsedTimer measureTimer;
    measureTimer.start();
    for(int i=0;i<1000;++i){
        document->m_preview->Scroll(0,1); // perform 1pixel scroll
        QCoreApplication::processEvents();
    }
    qDebug() << measureTimer.elapsed();

and you are done, while still being very close to what the production code would do.

• @Asperamanca thank you ..yes exactly this is what I did this helps for purpose of testing of course ty

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.