way to install Qt

• Banned

HPE 10th gen server withXeon S900 (20*3,9DHz) + 2TB RAM DDR4.
    Win2016 DataCenter
    Qt online installer freezes not only itself, but also browser, but also whole system.....
    Qt offline installer same situatiobn.

What works? Everything except Qt. Ok nearely everything..... Netbeans also refuses to work here.....

Whats strange is that when I run

msconfig

, disable every stratscript and than run Qt installer again, it works perfectly.

What may be wrong here?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

That's something you should check with Microsoft's folks. Especially since you are disabling stuff, there's likely something that interfere with development tools seconded by the fact that Netbeans also can't work.

• Moderators

@cloudenv.org said in way to install Qt:

Win2016 DataCenter

I'm wondering why you want to install Qt on such machine?
    Do you want to develop on a server?

• Banned

@jsulm said in way to install Qt:

Win2016 DataCenter

I'm wondering why you want to install Qt on such machine?
    Do you want to develop on a server?

why not?

• Moderators

@cloudenv.org Because it is a server machine?

• Banned

@cloudenv.org Because it is a server machine?

And? I know its server hardware.....

• Moderators

@cloudenv.org Well, it's your machine. But in my opinion it would make more sense to use an OS better suited for a developer workstation to avoid issues like yours.

• Banned

@cloudenv.org Well, it's your machine. But in my opinion it would make more sense to use an OS better suited for a developer workstation to avoid issues like yours.

We can install virtualized Linux (Ubuntu or similar) and install Qt on top. Is this what you mean?

• Moderators

@cloudenv.org Actually not. What I mean is: why use a machine with a server Windows OS as developer workstation?

• Banned

@cloudenv.org Actually not. What I mean is: why use a machine with a server Windows OS as developer workstation?

Its not for developing. Its for making others (from within our LAN network) use Qt for their work

• Qt Champions 2017

@cloudenv.org
    Hi
    Im not sure Qt is tested on data center editions.
    Is this with GUI installed or server core ?

Im not sure how it "helps others (from within our LAN network) use Qt for their work"
    Like a terminal server or what is the plan ?

• Moderators

use Qt for their work

To use Qt you need to install it on the machine where you want to use it. How is it going to help other users if you install Qt on a server? Maybe you should describe your use case? Do these other users develop with Qt or do they use apps written with Qt?

• Banned

Its Wn2016 DataCenter with GUI.
    Each worker has standard (=non-admin) user account created and s/he connects to it via RDP (from either their workstations or their homes (some of them works from home)). The only person having physical access to server hardware is me. No one else.

All Im trying to do is to install whole set of Qt in the way it would be usable by all users......

Thats pretty much it.

• Qt Champions 2017

@cloudenv.org
    Ok so it was like a terminal server.
    If you disable scripts and install Qt.
    Does it work after then ?

• Banned

@mrjj said in way to install Qt:

@cloudenv.org
    Ok so it was like a terminal server.
    If you disable scripts and install Qt.
    Does it work after then ?

Am currently experimenting with this..... will report back....

• Banned

Sorry for my lenghty post, but cannot do it otherwise......

I started from browsing through logs. Its pretty complicated and lenghty task as we have > 10GB of logs written daily -> EventViewer from AdminTools is far not as good as own-written one with custom pipes/log visualization etc....

So I started filtering by various criteria:: but first in Dashboard there were no Criticals, but - hell - almost 1k warmings. Sounds strange? Oh yes, very much! All warmings were from one origin = one WD Red HardDrive was having hard-time communicating with controller (every 10th signal was mystically dropped causing - as detailed in company-wide Fault-Policy) heavy output to external backup target. This - in turn - caused two things::: first log the warming in the log and second - instability of OS and IDEs as IDEs (both Netbeans and Qt) resided on this very faulty (as I thought) HDD.

Second thing I did was to iddle that WD drive, unplug it and plug it into another controller. Guess what happened? OS regained rock-solid stability and warmings wasnt being accumulated any more. So - for safety - I scanned WD Red with diag tool - disk is quite old, but healthy (no bad sectors whatsoever).

I made another trick - changed controllers in sockets (meaning controller1 into socket2 and vice versa) - and this time system wont even boot. Switched back - scanned all other WDs and all are healthy. So the outcome? Faulty controller (number 1). Called HPE, ordered another one. Currently waiting for the new controller to arive. As soon as I get it, it will be mounted and faulty one send back for analyzis.

Currently - whole server is out-of-rack and offline.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.