Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

How to get non null terminated data out of a QByteArray ?

• Hello!

I'm trying to serialize a struct and send it over the network using QTcpsocket. I've run into a problem where I can't figure out how to extract raw data out of a QBytearray instance.

Here's a struct defenition:

typedef struct __attribute__((packed, aligned(4)))
    {
        quint16 checksum1;
        quint16 checksum2;

}MyStruct;

And this is my test case:

MyStruct sendingStruct;

sendingStruct.checksum1 = 25;
        sendingStruct.checksum2 = 34;

char b[sizeof(sendingStruct)];
        memcpy(b,&sendingStruct,sizeof(sendingStruct)); //b="\031\000"\000" after memcpy (in debugger)

QByteArray ba = QByteArray::fromRawData(b,sizeof(b)); //ba="\031\000"\000" (in debugger)

char *c = ba.data(); // c= "\031" (in debugger)  <= **The problem is here**

MyStruct receivingStruct;

memcpy(&receivingStruct, &c, sizeof(receivingStruct));

qDebug() << QObject::tr("receivingStruct.checksum1 = %1, receivingStruct.checksum2 = %2").arg(receivingStruct.checksum1).arg(receivingStruct.checksum2);
        // output receivingStruct.checksum1 = 65108, receivingStruct.checksum2 = 121

How can I get the raw data from QByteArray without it terminating at the first null character it sees?

• @Curtwagner1984 said in How to get non null terminated data out of a QByteArray ?:

<= **The problem is here**

No it's not, it's here: memcpy(&receivingStruct, &c, sizeof(receivingStruct)); change &c to c or ba.constData(). &c is of type char**

• @VRonin Indeed! Thank you!