Trying to setup Qt Creator

• I downloaded a Qt+Creator package. Specifically [qt-windows-opensource-5.2.0-msvc2012-x86_64-offline] by name. I installed it and also had MinGW compiler independently installed. Now I'm getting the following error when building my project.

12:50:30: Running steps for project chip45_α...
    12:50:30: Starting: "C:\Qt\Qt5.2.0\5.2.0\msvc2012_64\bin\qmake.exe" C:\Qt\Qt5.2.0\Tools\QtCreator\bin\myp\myp.pro -r -spec win32-msvc2012 "CONFIG+=debug" "CONFIG+=declarative_debug" "CONFIG+=qml_debug"
    Cannot find file: C:\Qt\Qt5.2.0\Tools\QtCreator\bin\myp\myp.pro.
    12:50:30: The process "C:\Qt\Qt5.2.0\5.2.0\msvc2012_64\bin\qmake.exe" exited with code 2.
    Error while building/deploying project myp (kit: Desktop Qt 5.2.0 MSVC2012 64bit)
    When executing step 'qmake'
    12:50:30: Elapsed time: 00:00.

Does anyone know what could help?

• @najariner

Hi and welcome to devnet forum

First of all you cannot use a mix of compiler and pre-compiled Qt libs. Different compiler versions are not compatible.

Did you check if this file is available?
    Cannot find file: C:\Qt\Qt5.2.0\Tools\QtCreator\bin\myp\myp.pro.

It looks like you are trying to have a project file within the installation part of Qt. This is not a good idea since you mess up the installation with your source.

Probably best is to create somewhere a separate directory for your projects and start from there (e.g. c:\Source).

In creator you can create a new project and give the desired path for the location of your new project. Try to make a simple "Hello world" application first for checking that the setup is ok.

For your error message shown above, this might be caused by an Anti-virus application, which has removed or denies access to the pro file. However, that is just a guess.

• Thanks for the reply @koahnig. Sorry, I'm not too experienced with Qt. The .pro file is indeed there. I moved the project outside to another folder in C and the issue presists. The problem seems to be that my installation doesn't recognize a compiler. I get this message when trying to clean the project.

:-1: error: Qt Creator needs a compiler set up to build. Configure a compiler in the kit options.

• Qt Champions 2017

Hi
    You downloaded msvc2012 Qt version so you need to use Visual studio 2012 as compiler.
    (installed separately )
    If you use any of the MINGW Qt version, the compiler is
    included and installing an extra standalone might just generate issues.

Why such old version ? if i may ask ?
    There are much newer released:
    https://download.qt.io/official_releases/qt/5.10/5.10.1/

Update:
    The error "-1: error: Qt Creator needs a compiler" suggest you do not have visual studio installed so
    either install Visual studio 2012 or grab a mingw version of Qt so kit works.
    The visual studio Qt do not work with mingw.

• @mrjj I figured that was my issue. I went through the official channels but it seems to be a 60gig download and my connection isn't the greatest and I don't want to wait the whole day and then some basically. The installer does let me pick which components to download. What do I need for a simple installation? I just need to write a couple of Qt Widget applications.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

If you use the online installer, just select the MinGW build and compiler as @mrjj.

• Qt Champions 2017

Hi
    60 GB ? THen you must selected multiple.
    For desktop development with widgets you just need mingw Qt.
    alt text

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.