QCanBus together with a PCAN-USB interface from PEAK-System

• I’m actually trying to use class QCanBus together with a PCAN-USB interface from PEAK-System, but it doesn‘t work, although I follow the Qt guideline on http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtserialbus-peakcan-overview.html.

According to debug output the peakcan interface will be available, i get a handle
    from createDevice(…), but m_canDevice->connectDevice()) always returns false.

if (QCanBus::instance()->plugins().contains(QByteArray("peakcan")))
    {
        qDebug() << "plugin \"peakcan\" available ";
    }
    qDebug() << "Trying to connect.......";
    m_canDevice = QCanBus::instance()->createDevice("peakcan", "usb0");
    if (!m_canDevice) {
        qDebug() <<  "createDevice failed";
        return;
    }

//m_canDevice->setConfigurationParameter(QCanBusDevice::BitRateKey, 1000000);
    if (!m_canDevice->connectDevice()) {
        delete m_canDevice;
        m_canDevice = nullptr;
        qDebug() <<  "connectDevice failed";
        return;
    }

Using log feature of PCANBasic-DLL, I see, wrong parameters will be used to initialize the PCAN-USB:

«____________________________________»
                          «           PCAN-Basic Log           » <<<<< 32-Bit API V. 4.3.0.150 >>>>>
                          «____________________________________»

Thu Mar 22 11:05:31.533 - [2684] EINGANG 'CAN_Initialize'
    Thu Mar 22 11:05:31.533 - [2684] PARAMETER von CAN_Initialize - Channel: 0x00, Baudrate: 0x001C, HwType: 0x00, IOPort: 0x0, Interrupt: 0
    Thu Mar 22 11:05:31.561 - [2684] AUSGANG 'CAN_Initialize' - ERGEBNIS: 0x1C00
    Thu Mar 22 11:05:31.561 - [2684] EINGANG 'CAN_GetErrorText'
    Thu Mar 22 11:05:31.561 - [2684] PARAMETER von CAN_GetErrorText - Error: 0x00001C00, Language: 0, Buffer: 0x20CAAD90
    Thu Mar 22 11:05:31.563 - [2684] AUSGANG 'CAN_GetErrorText' - ERGEBNIS: 0x00

"Channel: 0x00" is wrong here, should be 0x51!

How can I guide Qt to use correct parameters?

• Qt Champions 2017

Hi @apexul,

• Which Qt version are you using?
    • Which PCAN-Basic version?
    • Which Operating System?

m_canDevice = QCanBus::instance()->createDevice("peakcan", "usb0");
    if (!m_canDevice) {
    qDebug() << "createDevice failed";
    return;
    }

Please change that code to:

QString erroMessage;
     m_canDevice = QCanBus::instance()->createDevice("peakcan", "usb0", &errorMessage);
     if (!m_canDevice) {
         qDebug() <<  "createDevice failed:" << errorMessage;
         return;
     }

and come back with the output. Thanks.

PS: Have you already tried the CAN example? I use it regularly in conjunction with Peak adapters.

• Sorry for the missing informations:
    Window10 Version 1709 (Build 16299,248)
    Qt5.7.1 (MSVC 2015, 32bit) / Qt Creator 4.2.0

m_canDevice = QCanBus::instance()->createDevice("peakcan", "usb0", &errorMessage);
    =>
    C:\Users\RC459_UL\imager2D\accessories-utils\cblhostswutility\mainwindow.cpp:128: Fehler: no matching function for call to 'QCanBus::createDevice(QByteArray, const QString&, QString*)'
    C:\Qt\5.7\mingw53_32\include\QtSerialBus\qcanbus.h:56: note: candidate expects 2 arguments, 3 provided

• Also

if (QCanBus::instance()->plugins().contains(QStringLiteral("peakcan"))) {
    // plugin available
    }

taken from http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtserialbus-peakcan-overview.html doesn't compile,
    I have used

if (QCanBus::instance()->plugins().contains(QByteArray))) {
    // plugin available
    }

instead.

• Qt Champions 2017

Hi @apexul,

thanks for the information.

Please update your Qt version to 5.9.4 or 5.10.1.

CAN bus was technology preview in 5.6 and 5.7 and I changed quite a lot since then, e.g. the errorMessage parameter to createDevice.

If you run the CAN example from 5.9 upwards, it will even show you which CAN channels are available :)

Best regards.

PS: if you insist not to update Qt, then replace "usb0" with "usbbus1" in your code. But I can guarantee you won't get happy with this old release.

• Qt Champions 2017

@apexul said in QCanBus together with a PCAN-USB interface from PEAK-System:

if (QCanBus::instance()->plugins().contains(QStringLiteral("peakcan"))) {
    // plugin available
    }

This is another change from the tech preview to the final version:

// Qt 5.7 version
    if (QCanBus::instance()->plugins().contains("peakcan")) {
      // plugin available
    }

• @aha_1980 said in QCanBus together with a PCAN-USB interface from PEAK-System:

PS: Have you already tried the CAN example? I use it regularly in conjunction with Peak adapters.

The Code I got from another team member is almost identical with the example from Qt 5.7.1

I've now updated Qt to 5.10.1 and compiled the example provided by it - it works fine!

Thx

• Qt Champions 2017

Hi @apexul, glad you got it working!

So please mark this thread as SOLVED now. Thanks.

• Qt Champions 2017

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.