Need advice on virtual screens

• I am developing an embedded system based on a Raspberry Pi, using a Yocto-based Linux rather than Raspbian. I'd like to use QML, but would switch to Qt Widgets if necessary. I have a fixed sized display (1920x1080), and I need to switch among a number of completely independent virtual screens. I want instant switching, no panning or other effects. Virtual screens may be written to while not visible. I want to take advantage of the GPU where possible.

First question: What's the most efficient way to switch a single display among a number of virtual screens, in QML and Qt Widgets?

Second question: I'm under the impression that a compositor like Wayland is intended to combine windows managed by independent processes, but in my system all output will be produced by a single GUI process. Do I need Wayland, or is there something simpler that still uses the GPU? Or does Wayland composite individual objects like buttons?

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.