Is it posible to compile a Client X Qt app to run in Window?

• Hello everybody.

I have a Qt application target for Linux but is executed remotely, with ssh -X.
    Now, the target OS is Windows.

Is it posible recompile app for Windows target but display on a remote X Server.

Thanks

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

When using ssh you are usually executing the application on the remote machine with forwarding the X session back to the caller machine.

So you don't need to build your application for Windows. However you need to have an X server on your Windows machine like xming.

• Yes. But remote is a Windows Machine.
    I explain myself better.
    If I compile a Qt application on a Windows machine (Qt for Windows) I get a Qt Windows Native Application.
    If I compile the same source code on a Linux machine, I get a Qt Linux Native (usually client X) application.
    The question is :

is it posible generate a Qt Windows Native Client X Application?

So, when I will login from my Local machine (usually Linux) to the Remote Windows machine with ssh -X and execute the application (on Windows remote machine), the application can show the display on my local X Server (Linux) machine)

Thanks in advanced.

• Qt Champions 2017

Hi
    Since there is no default xserver on windows, i dont think its possible.
    without some new form of QPA
    http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qpa.html
    (that knows the actual xserver you would be using)

With a windows server, its possible to serve one application to a remote desktop
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731923.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

• @mrjj Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I agree that qpa can be a solution but it sound that it should be done yet.

From Xming X server you can execute X clients on Windows and show the display on Windows or Linux. I suppose that it is posible build a X client with MinGW-w64

If this is true, why we can't build a Qt Windows as X client Application ? It sound that should be possible, but I don't know how.

Best regards.

• Qt Champions 2017

Hi
    Yes the reverse is pretty easy.
    I use
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/vcxsrv/
    It can even run linux executable in WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) meaning you can run an native linux app on windows.
    But I have not seen any SDK or x server client libs that would allow to run and forward GDI windows apps.

We simply miss the a windows version of Xlib to link to.
    Im sure one could get something running with cygwin + mingw but that would not be a normal windows app and require cygwin to run.

Maybe there is some way for a native X server windows app but its not one i cant find or see currently.

Lets see if others have other ideas :)

• Hi
    This thread ask the same question. It seems possible but nobody knows.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.