Break Layout broken ?

• Hi,

Probably newcomer naivety. But I find that if I have say a QDialog, comprising 3 horizontal layouts, and I right-click the last, and choose Break Layout, so that I can add an additional element, then formatting of the other 2 horizontal layouts, breaks, in Qt Creator.

When I say breaks, formally the other 2 occupied the full width of the QDialog. But after, they shrink horizontally, to take up on-screen, just the space needed by their content.

I've tried WinMerge compare of the .UI file, before and after, to try and understand what Qt Creator has done, so I can undo it, but cannot fathom the changes.

I'm using the latest Qt, 5.10, downloaded and installed just a few days ago. I've searched the forum and google on this issue, and not mentioned, per se.

Best regards,

David

• Hi,

An update. After trying many options, I have managed to prevent the 2 horizontal layouts shrinking when I do a Break Layout on the third horizontal layout.

I don't know if my solution is an approved way, but for each widget in the 2 horizontal layouts, I have set minimumSize width and height to the actual values shown in geometry, rather than 0.

And, I have set maximumSize width and height to the same, rather than 16777215.

But now, another problem. I'll log that as Break Layout broken 2 ?

Best regards,

David

• Qt Champions 2017

Hi
    Breaking a layouts always made contained layouts rescale to much smaller size for me when not a boxgrid.

Are you sure it used to work differently ?

• Hi mrjj,

Thank you very much for your reply, much appreciated.

Well, I'm really new to Qt, just a few days, so I can't really say about matters working differently in the past.

I've only every seen the behaviour as described in my 2 posts to this thread.

Sounds like I need to give boxgrids a try.

I also have a related issue, per my 'Break Layout broken 2' post. Would you have any insights on that maybe ?

Must admit, I find the Qt requirement to have to 'Break Layout' to add elements a bit frustration. But maybe layout managers in other products are similar.

Best regards,

David

• Moderators

@David-King said in Break Layout broken ?:

I find the Qt requirement to have to 'Break Layout' to add elements a bit frustration.

You don't need to break a layout to add a new item.

Just drag the new item onto your existing layout, and the item will be inserted into the layout.

• Qt Champions 2017

adding to @JKSH , when dragging over a layout, it shows a blueline to
    show where it will be inserted if dropped.

alt text

• Ah, but only for 'leaf' items, within a layout.

But which I mean, I can copy Widget 2, and paste onto Horz Layout fine:

Horz Layout
    Widget 1
    Widget 2

I then get:

Horz Layout
    Widget 1
    Widget 2
    Widget 2_2

But if I have eg the following, I can't copy Vert Layout, and paste onto Horz Layout:

Horz Layout
    Vert Layout
    Widget 1
    Widget 2

So I can't get the following.

Horz Layout
    Vert Layout
    Widget 1
    Widget 2
    Vert Layout_2
    Widget 1_2
    Widget 2_2

At least, not without doing a Break Layout on Horz Layout first, to give me:

Vert Layout
    Widget 1
    Widget 2

I can then copy-paste Vert Layout, to give me:

Vert Layout_2
    Widget 1_2
    Widget 2_2

I can then multi-select Vert Layout, and Vert Layout_2, and choose layout horizontally, to reinstate the layout.

Problem is, after doing the above, my layout is broken, with all my Horz Layouts (I have 4 so far), laying on top of one other, all at the top of the QDialog.

How do I know that Break Layout is needed in the scenario described ?

Because Qt tells me so, via a dialogue it displays, saying that I need to do a Break Layout as described

On my list, to give boxgrids a try, to see if I get better mileage with..

Best regards,

David

• Qt Champions 2017

Hi
    If you want to clone existing layouts ( to get more)
    Hold down CTRL and drag to clone the selection. (layout and all)

• Ah, the forum has removed my indenting. Hope makes sense still. Intention was eg:

Horz Layout
    indent Vert Layout
    indent indent Widget 1
    indent indent Widget 2

Ie, nested layouts

• Qt Champions 2017

Hi
    You can drag the layouts with CTRL
    alt text

• Yo !
    Thank you so much mrjj for CTRL drag !
    I had to be careful I dropped in the right place, but it worked :-)
    I'm sure CTRL drag mention is somewhere in the excellent Qt documentation

• Qt Champions 2017

@David-King
    One thing i was like 2 years to discover.
    You can drag a selection from the Form to the Widget list.
    And then you can have it there as template. ( in the left side list, bottom)

• Thanks for the tip !

So is this post SOLVED I wonder ?
    Well it's worked around, for sure, with CTRL-drag

Still seems buggish that the layout is broken by a Break Layout, then a reversing of that

• Qt Champions 2017

@David-King
    Well, depending on what you put in layout and kind of stuff will happen
    when you break it.
    It could be a bug but it does sounds normal to me.
    The red layouts might become the size of what ever is it them and its minimumsize etc.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.