QFileDialog::getOpenFileName() not initially focussed

• I am seeing "unexpected" (but not fatal) behaviour with the static function QFileDialog::getOpenFileName() --- and with QFileDialog::getSaveFileName() --- under Linux (Ubuntu, Unity desktop), Qt 5.7, and using the native file dialog. I do not know what the behaviour is under other flavors of Linux/desktops, nor under Windows.

I start from a QDialog. I click a button whose handler calls QFileDialog::getOpenFileName(), with the calling dialog as the parent; I am passing no options. Note that this means I do not pass in QFileDialog::DontUseNativeDialog. There is nothing of note in the code.

At this point the native "file selector" dialog opens. It is up-front. However, it is not "focussed". This means, for example that its title, native close/expand buttons, content is "dimmed". I can click on it. As soon as I do so, it becomes "fully focussed", so that its buttons/content etc. "light up" instead of being dimmed. Once that has happened, it never returns to "dimmed", no matter where I click in the windows/desktop.

I believe this is the case only via the QFileDialog::getOpenFileName()-type static functions, not the instance ones (though I could be mistaken). I believe this only happens if I use the native dialog, not the Qt one.

Wondering if anyone else is able to reproduce this behaviour under Linux, may require Unity desktop, I don't know. But if you have that set up you could have a look. If nobody does have that environment, doubtless I won't get anywhere with this question.

• Qt Champions 2016

Hi
    Test Case
    MainWindow->button->released()
    Dialog d(this);
    d.exec()
    d->Button->released()->
    QFileDialog::getOpenFileName();

It had focus on Linux mint XFCE.
    Also on windows 10.
    I have no UNITY to test on as i dislike it as much as you do windows. :)

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

You should share a minimal sample that allows people to test your issue on their system.

• @SGaist
    Couldn't be more minimal (no need for a calling dialog, apparently):

import sys
    from PyQt5 import QtWidgets

class Main(QtWidgets.QMainWindow):
        def __init__(self):
            super().__init__()

self.button = QtWidgets.QPushButton("Click", self)
            self.button.clicked.connect(self.openFileDialog)

def openFileDialog(self):
            QtWidgets.QFileDialog.getOpenFileName(self)

if __name__ == '__main__':
        app = QtWidgets.QApplication(sys.argv)

main = Main()
        main.show()

sys.exit(app.exec_())

@mrjj, and @SGaist
    I had not realised, the pattern is: first time QFileDialog is shown it is correctly focussed, subsequent times it is shown unfocussed. So you must:

1. Click button to show file dialog.
    2. Click any of the buttons to exit file dialog.
    3. Click button to show file dialog a second time.

[I am not able to illustrate how it looks "focussed" at #1 but "dimmed" at #3, because the act of taking a screenshot causes it to become "focussed"/"undimmed", just like clicking anywhere does.]

@mrjj In the light of this discovery, would you mind doing your tests again with a second click to display the file dialog again?

• Qt Champions 2016

Oh, that i did when testing.
    In the Dialog, i open/closed the file dialog
    multiple times (in same run) on both platforms,

• @mrjj
    Yeah, thank you, not unexpected. Since it only happens when using the native dialog from Qt, plus it's to do with windows & focussing. Which is why I said initially that unless someone has Unity to test on, it probably would not get anywhere (and so didn't bother showing code for it) ....

Ah well. Unless someone does have a similar environment I'll have to put it down to probably Unity only....

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Are you using your distribution provided PyQt and Qt ?

• @SGaist
    Absolutely yes! As are all my users. Everybody wants to use standard, supported apt-get for installing all packages they use under Linux (for Qt we're all at 5.7, provided for Ubuntu 17.04), nobody is interested in downloading packages from individual-product sites, that's why we're using Linux and not Windows.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.