Memory management with QListWidget

• I create a new item with new QListWidgetItem and then I give it to the list with tree_widget->addItem(pItem) but the clang static analyser says it's a potential memory leak. Is there a right way to establish the QObject relationship here so it's not a problem?

• @Vadi2
    if tree_widget is a QListWidget, then this code will not result in memory leak:

QListWidget wgt;
    QListWidgetItem *item = new QListWidgetItem("myitem");
    wgt.addItem(item);

The list widget will take ownership of the item. Also my clang analyzer sees no problem in this snippet.

• Eh. Mine does for some reason:

Memory Error: Memory leak: Potential leak of memory pointed to by 'pItem'
     1: Entering loop body in /home/vadi/Programs/Mudlet/mudlet/src/dlgConnectionProfiles.cpp:1150
     2: Entering loop body in /home/vadi/Programs/Mudlet/mudlet/src/dlgConnectionProfiles.cpp:1205
     3: Looping back to the head of the loop in /home/vadi/Programs/Mudlet/mudlet/src/dlgConnectionProfiles.cpp:1205
     4: Entering loop body in /home/vadi/Programs/Mudlet/mudlet/src/dlgConnectionProfiles.cpp:1205
     5: Looping back to the head of the loop in /home/vadi/Programs/Mudlet/mudlet/src/dlgConnectionProfiles.cpp:1205
     6: Entering loop body in /home/vadi/Programs/Mudlet/mudlet/src/dlgConnectionProfiles.cpp:1205
     7: Looping back to the head of the loop in /home/vadi/Programs/Mudlet/mudlet/src/dlgConnectionProfiles.cpp:1205
     8: Entering loop body in /home/vadi/Programs/Mudlet/mudlet/src/dlgConnectionProfiles.cpp:1205
     9: Looping back to the head of the loop in /home/vadi/Programs/Mudlet/mudlet/src/dlgConnectionProfiles.cpp:1150
    10: Entering loop body in /home/vadi/Programs/Mudlet/mudlet/src/dlgConnectionProfiles.cpp:1150
    11: Memory is allocated in /home/vadi/Programs/Mudlet/mudlet/src/dlgConnectionProfiles.cpp:1156

This is the line in question.

• @Vadi2 Hi, friend. Welcome.

Form your github.

/** begin for loop*/
    auto pItem = new QListWidgetItem(mProfileList.at(i));

if (/** some conditions */) {
                // delete pItem; ///< so, you should delete pItem, before continue
                continue; ///< if continue at here, your pItem will make member leak.
    }

/** some code */

profiles_tree_widget->addItem(pItem); ///< at here you add item to tree widget

/** end for loop*/

• You're right! Thank you.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.