QMediaPlayer won't move to next track on Android unless in focus

• I have built a simple music-player and audio-book-player (two applications) using Qt. Originally developed for Nokia N9 converted to both Jolla and Android. Probably the two most used applications I have ever build for my self. On other words it has been working very well for many years.

The audio-book-player are mostly built using QML, including playing audio but with my own concept of play-lists. The music-player are using QML UI frontend with QMediaPlaylist and QMediaPlayer in C++.

Now converting to recent Qt (5.9.2) I run into same problem with them both;
    I play a track/chapter and the phone locks the screen. The player will continue the current loaded track but will not move into the next track. It just take a nap without emitting any stateChanged(QMediaPlayer::State). When I unlock the phone it will nicely continue to the next track.

I figure that this is a problem in the QMediaPlayer as I am using my own play-list in the audio-book-player.

When I track the application state I found that when I lock the screen the application state goes from Qt::ApplicationActive to Qt::ApplicationSuspended, it never passes Qt::ApplicationHidde. I treat Active and Inactive the same and does not know if there is a split second of Inactive between.

What do do?
    I'd like the player to nicely continue playing my book while I have my phone in the pocket. or especially while driving.

I have tested this on Andoid 4.2.2, 6.0.1 and 7.1.1
    Interesting though is that the player now goes into pause when I receive a call, that has not always been the case.

• Experienced that when I press the android "home" button the application will get two new states directly after each other;

First Qt::ApplicationInactive and then Qt::ApplicationSuspended

• If I build the application using Qt 5.2.1 it works as expected and QMediaPlayer continues in the playlist while app in background.

I also tried Qt 5.6.3 where I had the same problem as in Qt 5.9.2.

While this solves my urgent problem (as I actually don't really care about the Qt version in this case) I do think there might be some kind of bug in here somewhere so I won't mark the thread solved just yet.

Regards,
    Erik

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Did you check the bug report system to see if there's something related ?

• Hi @SGaist,
    I did search the tickets but found nothing that I could relate to this problem. If it is filed without "android" mentioned I would have missed it. But then again, this does not seem to be a problem if I compile for Desktop.

// Erik

• Lifetime Qt Champion

The backends are different between platforms so what you observe currently with Android is likely unique to Android.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.