Emitting a signal from another thread does not work

• Hi all,

I have Qt application, where I have multiple boost::threads running inside. I provide a std::function to each thread to callback a string to be added to my log window. In this function I only have one line emitting the LogString signal with the message as parameter.

Somehow this does not work. It simply doesn't fire.

My setup of the signal is this:

connect(this, SIGNAL(SignalLogString(std::string)), this, SLOT(LogString(std::string)), Qt::QueuedConnection);

And the function that I provide to my threads is this:

auto funcSignalLog = [&](std::string str)
    {
    	emit this->SignalLogString(str); 
    	//LogString(str);
    };

The above does not result in the LogString method in the main app to be called. However if I comment in the

LogString(str)

It does but results in an exception every now and when, I guess since it's called directly from a different thread.

Can any one shed light into how this can be resolved?

Best regards,
    Carsten

• @panch
    Are std::strings acceptable to be passed across threads safely? Does your calling function allow the std:string to go out of scope? Are you supposed to use either native C++ char [] or even QString for this?

• @panch

auto goSlot = [=](){
            emit mySignal((std::string)("nni"));
        };

connect(ui->pushButton, &QPushButton::clicked, [=](){
            goSlot();
        });

connect(this, &MainWindow::mySignal, this, &MainWindow::mySlot);

void MainWindow::mySlot(std::string arg)
        {
            qDebug() << QString::fromStdString(arg);
        }

signals:
        void mySignal(std::string);

private slots:
        void mySlot(std::string arg);

Its work fine.. I have Qt 5.5

• I tried to replace the Signal and slot with QString instead of std::string - and it worked!
    So somehow this doesn't work in threads, but aparrently it does when used in the GUI thread as stated above?

Thanks anyway!

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.