Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Emitting a signal from another thread does not work

• Hi all,

I have Qt application, where I have multiple boost::threads running inside. I provide a std::function to each thread to callback a string to be added to my log window. In this function I only have one line emitting the LogString signal with the message as parameter.

Somehow this does not work. It simply doesn't fire.

My setup of the signal is this:

connect(this, SIGNAL(SignalLogString(std::string)), this, SLOT(LogString(std::string)), Qt::QueuedConnection);

And the function that I provide to my threads is this:

auto funcSignalLog = [&](std::string str)
    {
    	emit this->SignalLogString(str); 
    	//LogString(str);
    };

The above does not result in the LogString method in the main app to be called. However if I comment in the

LogString(str)

It does but results in an exception every now and when, I guess since it's called directly from a different thread.

Can any one shed light into how this can be resolved?

Best regards,
    Carsten

• @panch
    Are std::strings acceptable to be passed across threads safely? Does your calling function allow the std:string to go out of scope? Are you supposed to use either native C++ char [] or even QString for this?

• @panch

auto goSlot = [=](){
            emit mySignal((std::string)("nni"));
        };

connect(ui->pushButton, &QPushButton::clicked, [=](){
            goSlot();
        });

connect(this, &MainWindow::mySignal, this, &MainWindow::mySlot);

void MainWindow::mySlot(std::string arg)
        {
            qDebug() << QString::fromStdString(arg);
        }

signals:
        void mySignal(std::string);

private slots:
        void mySlot(std::string arg);

Its work fine.. I have Qt 5.5

• I tried to replace the Signal and slot with QString instead of std::string - and it worked!
    So somehow this doesn't work in threads, but aparrently it does when used in the GUI thread as stated above?

Thanks anyway!