QT ScrollBars doesn't appear with scrollAreaWidgetContents

• I am trying to learn QT with visual studio. My development environment is VS2015 with QT designer. I am trying to do the following tutorial.

http://www.bogotobogo.com/Qt/Qt5_QMainWindow_QAction_ImageViewer_B.php

essentially the tutorial displays an image with Qlabel and QScrollArea. If I create the widgets with code (using visual studio) the program seems to work.

imageLabel = new QLabel;
     imageLabel->setBackgroundRole(QPalette::Base);
     imageLabel->setSizePolicy(QSizePolicy::Ignored, QSizePolicy::Ignored);
     imageLabel->setScaledContents(true);

scrollArea = new QScrollArea;
     scrollArea->setBackgroundRole(QPalette::Dark);
     scrollArea->setWidget(imageLabel);
     setCentralWidget(scrollArea);

However, then I tried to do the same with QT Designer. When I dragged a ScrollArea from QT Designer, I noticed that it also created a QWidget called "scrollAreaWidgetContents". Then when I created the QLabel, Label was created under "scrollAreaWidgetContents" widget. I then tried to display the image using the following code.

ui->label->setBackgroundRole(QPalette::Base);
    ui->label->setSizePolicy(QSizePolicy::Ignored, QSizePolicy::Ignored);
    ui->label->setScaledContents(true);

ui->scrollArea->setBackgroundRole(QPalette::Dark);
    ui->scrollArea->setWidget(ui->scrollAreaWidgetContents);
    ui->scrollArea->setWidgetResizable(true);
    ui->scrollAreaWidgetContents->setSizePolicy(QSizePolicy::Ignored, QSizePolicy::Ignored);
    //ui->scrollArea->setWidget(ui->label);
    setCentralWidget(ui->scrollArea);

The problem with this is that the scroll Bars never appears.

Then I uncommented "ui->scrollArea->setWidget(ui->label);" line and then the program compiles but crashes. So, how do I make the scrollBars appear with QT Designer? What am I doing wrong.

Thanks for the help

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

IIRC, you can use the "promote to" feature and make that widget a QLabel.

Hope it helps

• I tired it but it didn't let me promote QWidget ("scrollAreaWidgetContents") to QLabel. It said QLabel aleardy exists. I tried it using QT Designer.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

An alternative could be to just edit the .ui file directly and change scrollAreaWidgetContents to a QLabel. Would likely be faster.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.