Visual Studio 2017 unresolved external symbol struct QStaticPlugin

• I'm attempting to build a project that relies on Qt. I'm most of the way there and have one last unresolved symbol related to Qt plugins, error message below.

I'm using qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.9.1.zip and as I need to build x86 I'm linking against the .lib files in the msvc2015\lib directory. I've added qtmain.lib, Qt5Core.lib, Qt5Widgets.lib, Qt5Gui.lib and Qt5Network.lib. Search results I need to also link against Qt5PlatformSupport.lib and/or qwindows.lib but neither of those libraries are available. Is there a different mechanism required to link for a Qt static plugin? Note I'm still trying to build so I haven't hit the more common problem of not being able to locate the plugin dll's.

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error LNK2001 unresolved external symbol "struct QStaticPlugin const __cdecl qt_static_plugin_QWindowsIntegrationPlugin(void)" (?qt_static_plugin_QWindowsIntegrationPlugin@@YA?BUQStaticPlugin@@XZ) bitcoin-qt F:\Dev\github\sipsorcery_bitcoin\contrib\msvc\bitcoin-qt\bitcoin.obj 1

• Qt Champions 2016

@azaclauson said in Visual Studio 2017 unresolved external symbol struct QStaticPlugin:

Is there a different mechanism required to link for a Qt static plugin?

Not for linking, no. You should be able to find those libraries in the plugins directory of your build (I think they were in <QtDir>plugins/platforms). You also might need to initialize each of the plugins manually in code as you're linking static:

#include <QtPlugin>

Q_IMPORT_PLUGIN(QWindowsIntegrationPlugin)
    Q_IMPORT_PLUGIN(qjpeg)
    // ... etc.

More info here.

• Not for linking, no. You should be able to find those libraries in the plugins directory of your build (I think they were in <QtDir>plugins/platforms). You also might need to initialize each of the plugins manually in code as you're linking static:

If I've understood correctly the default Qt downloads available at https://www1.qt.io/download-open-source/#section-2 are built with shared rather than static plugins. In order to get Qt with static plugins I need to do a custom build with the "-static" parameter specified for configure.bat?

That leaves me in a chicken and egg situation. I've been unable to get very far with building Qt either from the git repo or from the above download (if anyone has a configure command that works with the Visual Studio 2017 command prompt I'd be very grateful). I can't make changes to the consumer project I'm attempting to build so need to stick with static plugins.

• Qt Champions 2016

@azaclauson said in Visual Studio 2017 unresolved external symbol struct QStaticPlugin:

If I've understood correctly the default Qt downloads available at https://www1.qt.io/download-open-source/#section-2 are built with shared rather than static plugins.

I believe so.

In order to get Qt with static plugins I need to do a custom build with the "-static" parameter specified for configure.bat?

That'd be implied if the installer provides only a shared library build.

I've been unable to get very far with building Qt either from the git repo or from the above download (if anyone has a configure command that works with the Visual Studio 2017 command prompt I'd be very grateful).

I suggest you open a new topic for that specifically and provide the configure command you had tried, what was the output and what didn't work.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.