Best way QDialog should communicate with MainWindow?

• Hello,

I have a QDialog with 2 buttons. One button performs an operation and the other is a cancel button. The button the performs an operation, emits a signal then closes the dialog.

I want to know which of the two buttons was clicked when the QDialog closes and control returns to MainWindow. I read in other posts that the QDialog should not be messing with variable created in its parent, MainWindow.

Thank you

• Hi, I believe the Cancel button returns QDialog::Rejected; I recommend that you have your other button do its stuff then call accept(); Thus returning either QDialog::Accepted or QDialog::Rejected.

So in your code you could do as

result = dialog.exec();

Then result will either be Accepted or Rejected depending on the button pressed.

• Moderators

QDialog::Accept and QDialog::Reject are the built-in result types, as @Chrisw01 mentioned.
    If you want more customized options you can use any integer value with done(). Create a public enum in your dialog class with the options and then connect your buttons to slots that call done() with that enum values.
    A user of your dialog can then call exec() and inspect the return value by comparing it to the enum values.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.