Code changes in Qt 4 and Qt 5

• Hi all,

Here is the program from the book "C++-GUI-Programming-with-Qt-4-2nd Edition".
    The book is of Qt 4 and I used it on Qt Creator 4.3.0. I started
    learning Qt using that book.
    Anyway, would you please take a look at the code to see what part can be updated using Qt 5?

The second case: What I've learnt by reading the first 4 chapters has been laying the widgets out and putting them on the screen for output by the setLayout statement. But here and don't see any layout! I think it's done by:

MainWindow::MainWindow()
    {
        spreadsheet = new Spreadsheet;
        setCentralWidget(spreadsheet);

createActions();
        createMenus();
        createContextMenu();
        createToolBars();
        createStatusBar();
    }

Right, please?

• @tomy
    Your link is to a RAR file on Dropbox?

• @JNBarchan
    Yes, it's the source code. You can download it.

• @tomy
    No thank you. Perhaps it's just me, but I wasn't expecting to be taken to a Dropbox download when I clicked on a link in a post here, and it doesn't seem to me to be a suitable thing to post, especially without warning.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

QMainWindow already has a layout which handles QMenuBar, QToolBars, QDockWidgets etc. The call to setCentralWidget is what puts spreadsheet inside the QMainWindow layout.

• @SGaist
    Thank you.

How to recognise where in the code can be updated to Qt 5?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

The Qt 5 documentation has a porting guide. You can check it and you'll see there's not much that needs to be done.

What can be of interest is learning at least C++11 features since it's now a requirement to build Qt. And nothing forbids you to go on with C++14/17.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.