Mouse on a QLabel, show a text in another QLabel

• Hi guys,
    i'm trying make this:
    when the mouse is on a qlabel i want to display in another qlabel, that i use to show the descriptions, the text in the whatthis property. I would like to have this for all the qlabels in the application. I've searched for similar case but i have not found anything. Thank you for help

• Moderators

@FED27 Easy to do, just override void QWidget::enterEvent(QEvent *event) in your "mouseover" label, then update the text in your "target" label.

• @FED27 Hi, the method suggested by @ambershark is obviously the correct one, but requieres alot of work, especially if you want to have the whatthis of any and all Widget that is clicked upon.

So I would suggest as an alternative,

Hook into the MouseClicked or the MouseMove event of your main class, depending on when you want that Signal/Information

than you can get the Widget with QWidget * QWidget::childAt(int x, int y) if that does not return a NullPtr, request the WhatsThis and send it to your Label.

• Moderators

@J-Hilk That's a good idea for what he wants to do with multiple widgets, otherwise he would have a lot of overridden classes. Good call.

@FED27 To head off the next question if you use @J-Hilk's method, don't forget you need to turn on mouse tracking. That gets a lot of people wondering why they aren't receiving mouse movements. Make sure you call setMouseTracking(true) if you are going for mouse movement events in a widget like that. It's not required for the one I posted but definitely for full mouse movement tracking.

• i try in this way:

void MainWindow::mouseMoveEvent(QMouseEvent *event){

QPoint pos=QCursor::pos();
    if(QWidget::childAt(pos.x(),pos.y())) ui->INFO->setText(QWidget::childAt(pos.x(),pos.y() )->whatsThis());

}

it works but only if i click and after i move the mouse. I want always this property.

• @ambershark
    UPDATE: it works only if i'm on the MainWindow of course.
    i need that some qlabel send whatthis() to a qlabel called "INFO" when mouse is over them.
    If i put mouseMoveEvent in the qlabel definition i don't know how connect them to INFO.

MainWindow::MainWindow(QWidget *parent) :
    QMainWindow(parent),
    ui(new Ui::MainWindow)
    {

ui->setupUi(this);
    this->setMouseTracking(true);

}

MainWindow::~MainWindow()
    {
    delete ui;
    }

void MainWindow::mouseMoveEvent(QMouseEvent *event){

QPoint pos=mapFromGlobal(QCursor::pos());
    qDebug() << pos << endl;
    if(QWidget::childAt(pos.x(),pos.y())) ui->INFO->setText(QWidget::childAt(pos.x(),pos.y() )->whatsThis());
    else ui->INFO->clear();

}

• Moderators

@FED27 In that case I would also create a mouseMoveEvent in that QLabel that needs it. Then I would have your INFO widget accessible from your MainWindow so you can grab a pointer to it inside your QLabel.

• Hi @FED27
    Write your own label class inherting QLabel, implement

void QWidget::mouseMoveEvent(QMouseEvent *event){
    emit signal_data(this->text());
    }

emit signal with text of the label, connect signal to slot in target

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.