QProcess wont run executable.

• I used the code below to start a new process. It will not run the executable.
    what am i missing?

I have tried both

QProcess p;
    p.start(QString("C:\\Progra~2\\Notepad++\\notedpad++.exe"));

QProcess::startDetached(QString("C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Notepad++\\notedpad++.exe"));

• Try...
    http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qdesktopservices.html
    QDesktopServices::openUrl("app location"); or read regedit default txt editor...

Or argument file for notedpad++.exe....

QStringList comandlist
    comandlist << filetoopen.txt 
     QString cmd = QString("notepad.exe");
      QProcess *process = new QProcess(this);
      process->setReadChannelMode(QProcess::MergedChannels);
      process->start(cmd, comandlist, QIODevice::ReadOnly);
      if (!process->waitForFinished()) {
        lstr = QString();
      } else {
        lstr = QString(process->readAll().constData());
      }

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Did you check the status code of the process for more information ?

• thank found the answer now.

QString cmd = QString("\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Notepad++\\notepad++.exe\"");

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Glad you found out and thanks for sharing !

Since you have it working now, please mark the thread as solved using the "Topic Tools" button so that other forum users may know a solution has been found :)

• @rafael

I"m glad you found a solution. In case you have other areas, here's another way it works.

QDesktopServices::openUrl(QUrl("file:///C:/windows/notepad", QUrl::TolerantMode));

I've found out there are about 4 different ways to run exe programs. When one doesn't work, the other 3 will lol. At least one of them will anyway. Since I'm here, I'll list the four different ways that I've found for others that may have any similar issues:

1. QDesktopServices::openUrl(QUrl("file:///C:/windows/notepad", QUrl::TolerantMode));

2.  system("C:/WINDOWS/system32/osk.exe");

3.   QProcess::startDetached("\"C:\\Program Files\\WinHTTrack\\WinHTTrack.exe\"");

4.  QString cmd = QString("\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Notepad++\\notepad++.exe\"");

Hope this helps someone.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.