Where are the Signals?

• Am I missing something or does the QTextEdit widget not have a signal for key pressed , especially return to let you know that the user has accepted the input?

I might also be missing the obvious, but QPushButton seems to have no signals at all, according to the class reference. I would expect a mouse click at least.

If the class reference in Help is wrong, is there any sort of definitive list signals?

• @lonnie hi,
    IIRC QTextEdit has no Signal for that, you'll have to derive that class if you want such signals. However you should look into QTextEdit, that one has build in Signals you want.

void	editingFinished()
    void	returnPressed()

QPushButton has no own new Signals, however it inherits from QAbstractButton, therefore it has Signals

void	clicked(bool checked = false)
    void	pressed()
    void	released()
    void	toggled(bool checked)

• Hi Ionnie,

there is a virtual protected keyPressed Event in QTextEdit inherited from QWidget. So you can subclass QTextEdit and overwrite it.

For QPushButton the signal is inheited from QAbstractButton as you can see here:
    http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qabstractbutton.html#clicked

For a definite list you can click on "List of all members, including inherited members" in Help of a Class.

• Skip this post. Sorry.

QPushButton does in fact have a clicked signal. The help is a bit deficient and that is frustrating because it, at first, seemed to be so well done and thorough. Now I am seeing it is "mostly" well done and rough around the edges. I got quite used to the trial and error method in C#, so I guess I am back to that.

QTextEdit emits signals for textChanged but only when the widget is initially loaded. Nothing happens when I type a bunch of stuff and hit enter. Kind of makes it difficult if you wanted to validate the contents before moving to another field.

Note to others:

I found this out by messing with the line:
    connect(edit, SIGNAL(textChanged()), this, SLOT(on_lineEditReturn()));

Just edit it to become: connect(edit, SIGNAL)), this, SLOT(on_lineEditReturn()));
    and as soon as you type the opening bracket after SIGNAL it pops up a list of the available signals. Very helpful.

• @sneubert said in Where are the Signals?:

For a definite list you can click on "List of all members, including inherited members" in Help of a Class.

Very helpful thanks. I guess I was distracted by the fact that some of the Class References list all the Slots and Signals.

• @J.Hilk said in Where are the Signals?:

However you should look into QTextEdit, that one has build in Signals you want.

Thanks. I assume you meant QLineEdit which does seem to have a BUNCH of things. I guess it is time to step away from the keyboard and do some in depth class info skimming. Also, I need to forget C#. haha

• @lonnie
    you assume correct x) copy past error on my side. SORRY!

• @sneubert I will have to look at subclassing because I want the multiline capability of QTextEdit. Only problem, and I see why it was left out, is that Enter is not the end of edit in a Multiline. It merely inserts another line. I'll take at look at the Focus events.

Thanks for your suggestion.

• @lonnie said in Where are the Signals?:

Nothing happens when I type a bunch of stuff and hit enter.

that's when editingFinished() gets emitted

@lonnie said in Where are the Signals?:

Kind of makes it difficult if you wanted to validate the contents before moving to another field.

That's what QValidator and its subclasses are for. You can use QTextEdit::setValidator to apply it to your edit

• @VRonin hehe, I'm not used to having things done for me. I never had validators and had to do it all myself. I will check the validator out.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.