Why are the attribute settings functions part of the QOpenGLShaderProgram ?

• Why are the attribute settings functions (e.g. setAttributBuffer(..) etc.) for an vertex array object (vao) part of the QOpenGLShaderProgram ? It would conclusive to me, if it were part of the QOpenGLVertexArrayObject.

The point is actual, that i must have a defined shader program at the creation and initalization of the buffers, more precisely in the once called initalization method. Thats o.k. sofar. But when i want the functionality of an changable shaderprogram, maybe as an parameter to the draw method of an 3DModel, i have a problem. Because now i have to bind the buffer objects and make the attribute settings in the rendering loop. This makes the efforts of an vertex array object redundant.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

For such design decisions related questions you should rather ask on the interest mailing list. You'll find there Qt's developers/maintainers. This forum is more user oriented.

• Right but there is a issue behind that, what i tried to describe. How to handle on that base the functionality of an changeable shaderprogram ? I have an class which defines a 3DModel. It has an initalization and a draw method as membermethods. In the first one i create and setup the buffer objects (vbo, ibo). I want also use a vertex array object (vao), which i create and setup in the intialization function. There are the invocations that i only have to call ones in the sense of an opengl context. But for the setup and activation of the vertex attributs, that the vao is rememebering, i now need a that point a shaderprgram object. In view of an changeable shaderprogram i dont have that as a member of 3DModel class and thereby also not in the initalization function. I give a referenc to a shaderprogram as paramter to the draw method or better to the rendering loop. So as workaround i have to setup the attributs in the rendering loop, which makes the use of an vao redundant.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.