Problems when creating a Qt Compressed Help (qch) and Qt Help Collection (qch) file.

• We are creating a desktop application using QT, and an important part of this application is the Help file. Every dialog has it's own Help button and Help page: in total about 175 .htm files, containing over 200 images.

So far I have been struggling with this task as the workflow using the QT Help generator (doc.qt.io/qt-5/qthelp-framework.html) is not very user-friendly, at least not in my eyes (I am not a programmer). Generating the project files (contents tree, keywords, about text,...), changing the layout (.css files are not supported), setting start page and home page: a complicated task.

Previous versions of our application were Windows only (using MFC instead of QT), and for creating a Windows Help file (.chm) we used an easy to use Help authoring tool.

The good news is that the manufacturers of this tool helped me out: they released a converter that will open a .chm file and convert it to QT Help, exporting a .qch and a .qhc file. This QtHelpConverter will create both the Qt Help Project file and the Qt Help Collection Project file (based on your input in a simple dialog) and call qhelpgenerator. Even the information from the .css file will be converted to in-line style code in each .htm file.

The QtHelpConverter is a free tool, and can be downloaded from www.helpandmanual.com/qt-help.html
    As I am very happy with this application I want to share this information with other QT users: it will make your life much easier when creating a Help file for your application !

Lex.

PS: I am not connected to the authors of Help and Manual, so no bias in this opinion.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.