From 10:00 CET Friday 22nd November we will adjust how the server works to deal with some recently reported problems. Therefore there may be a load problem, if you experience more problems than usual trying to access the forum then please PM AndyS or any of the moderators so they can inform me.

Running new process from my GUI

• Each time my GUI process fires up I want to slay and restart a few server processes which handle the interface with hardware devices (serial & ethernet).

I used the QProcess::startDetached() function which starts the process OK but when I try to communicate with the new process using MsgSend() the call just gets blocked and never returns. If I start the processes at bootup or via Momentics, it works fine.

Any ideas ?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Please add the Qt version you are using, the OS and its version etc.

startDetached creates a new independent process, is that really what you want ?

• @SGaist I managed to solve the first problem. My server code had a call to name_open() after name_attach() as if it was trying to connect to itself !? Removing this has solved the issue.

Next question - can I use the same QProcess object to start more than one process ?

i.e.

QProcess proc;

proc.start("/tmp/bin/foo");
    proc.start("/tmp/bin/bar");

This code only seems to start 'foo'

• Lifetime Qt Champion

AFAIK, it's one process at a time though you can re-use the object itself once one is finished.