Clearing a QMenu while open toggles visibility

• I found a weird behavior with context menus. When I clear it, it toggles visibility.

Create a Qt desktop app and a window with a tree view. Insert the following:

MainWindow::MainWindow(QWidget *parent) : QMainWindow(parent), ui(new Ui::MainWindow)
    {
        ui->setupUi(this);
        ui->treeView->setContextMenuPolicy(Qt::CustomContextMenu);
    }

void MainWindow::on_treeView_customContextMenuRequested(const QPoint &pos)
    {
        QMenu *m = new QMenu();
        m->addAction("foo");
        QTimer t;
        connect(&t, &QTimer::timeout, this, [=](){
            m->clear();
            m->addAction("bar");
        });
        t.start(2000);
        m->exec();
    }

When I now right-click into the tree view, my context menu opens (top, left!), and with each execution of the timer, the context menu gets invisible, and visible again, and so on.

Note: Although it effectively triggers visibility, it doesn't in the data structures. In my real program, I can trigger the actions by clicking on the area nevertheless.

I'm not sure if I should report it too fast. I suspect it might depend on some part of my environment (Qt version, KDE, Ubuntu, GPU, whatever, ...). It looks so low-level... Can you reproduce it? Or, is it okay to report it directly without further checks (sorry for my stupid question ;) )?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

Can you give more details about your environment ?

• Qt Champions 2016

Hi
    Note:
    It was easy to test so i did it on win 10/Qt.57 vs 2015
    I did see some strange flashing so i tried the following

connect(&t, &QTimer::timeout, this, = {
    m->setUpdatesEnabled(false) ;
    m->clear();
    m->addAction("bar");
    m->setUpdatesEnabled(true) ;
    });
    Which seems to reduce it a lot.

• @SGaist Hi, thank you! It's a kubuntu 17.04 (with its Qt 5.7.1), amdgpu gpu driver.

• @mrjj Okay, then it's more specific. The setUpdatesEnabled calls haven't changed the behavior here.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.