Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Display various size of ListElements with GridView

• Hello Experts,

my goal is to design a UI like the windows phone (example), with rezieable tiles and automatic reassabling of the items and various items height and width. I posted already a question at StackOverflow with more information.

Display variuos size of ListElements with GridView

After trying and failing for long time, I'am almost sure I use the wrong approach.
    I used the GridView Demo from QT and tried to modify it, but I failed.
    Maybe on of you experts can give me a hint for solving this. I'm relatively new at QML but willing to learn and motivated. Hope you can help. Thanks in advance!

• I don't believe that GridView can be tricked to handle elements of different sizes (at least not without a lot of hacky code). I would go with custom solution here.

• Hello Qt-Experts,

following up on my "old" request, I ended up accepting that I have to solve my problem on the hard way. Now, playing around with DropArea, I found out some issues, I cannot bring in consens with the Qt manpage.

This is the expamle-code:

Rectangle {
            id:dropRect
            property var droppedObject
            anchors {
                top: parent.top
                right:  parent.right
                bottom:  parent.bottom
            }
            width: parent.width / 2
            color: "gold"
            DropArea {
                id: dropZone
                anchors.fill: parent

onContainsDragChanged: {
                    var i = 1
                }

onEntered:{
                       if (dropRect.droppedObject === undefined) {
                       dropRect.droppedObject = drag.source
                       drag.source.caught = true;
                       }
                }
                onExited: {
                        dropRect.droppedObject = undefined
                        drag.source.caught = false;
                }
                onDropped: {
                }
            }
        }

Ok, lets start with first issue: I can only use QtQuick 2.5 in this project. Need to know, because the documentation states 2.7.

For code explanation:
    dopZone.containsDrag is only true, if the drag is moved. stopping the movement will set "containsDrag" to false immediately. Also dropZone.drag.source is null when the drag is not moving. I proved this by using a timer which prints out both in 10ms interval.
    So for my project, I have to check if the dropZone already contains an object. This is why I did:

onEntered:{
                       if (dropRect.droppedObject === undefined) {
                       drag.source.caught = true;
                       }
                }

This piece is working at the first glance, but then I faced an issue. If the object leaves the area, I have to set

onExited: {
                        dropRect.droppedObject = undefined
                        drag.source.caught = false;
                }

So far so good. The problem is, that onExited is also emitted, when I only drop the Drag. The manual states:

exited()

This signal is emitted when a drag exits the bounds of a DropArea.

The corresponding handler is onExited.

Source
    So my understanding is, that my drag did not leave the bounds of the DropArea, but onExited is emitted anyway.

Next issue:

onDropped: {
                }

onDropped is never emitted. Manual states:

dropped(DragEvent drop)

This signal is emitted when a drop event occurs within the bounds of a DropArea.

The corresponding handler is onDropped.

Source

Can anyone give me a hint why this signal is not emitted? Is there another way to find out when a drag is dropped?

MAybe all this issues are caused because I use 2.5 instead of 2.7, maybe they are caused because I have a misunderstanding of the manual. Anyway, to proceed, it would be great if someone can give me some hints or workarounds.

Thank you all guys in advance.