Display various size of ListElements with GridView

• Hello Experts,

my goal is to design a UI like the windows phone (example), with rezieable tiles and automatic reassabling of the items and various items height and width. I posted already a question at StackOverflow with more information.

Display variuos size of ListElements with GridView

After trying and failing for long time, I'am almost sure I use the wrong approach.
    I used the GridView Demo from QT and tried to modify it, but I failed.
    Maybe on of you experts can give me a hint for solving this. I'm relatively new at QML but willing to learn and motivated. Hope you can help. Thanks in advance!

• I don't believe that GridView can be tricked to handle elements of different sizes (at least not without a lot of hacky code). I would go with custom solution here.

• Hello Qt-Experts,

following up on my "old" request, I ended up accepting that I have to solve my problem on the hard way. Now, playing around with DropArea, I found out some issues, I cannot bring in consens with the Qt manpage.

This is the expamle-code:

Rectangle {
            id:dropRect
            property var droppedObject
            anchors {
                top: parent.top
                right:  parent.right
                bottom:  parent.bottom
            }
            width: parent.width / 2
            color: "gold"
            DropArea {
                id: dropZone
                anchors.fill: parent

onContainsDragChanged: {
                    var i = 1
                }

onEntered:{
                       if (dropRect.droppedObject === undefined) {
                       dropRect.droppedObject = drag.source
                       drag.source.caught = true;
                       }
                }
                onExited: {
                        dropRect.droppedObject = undefined
                        drag.source.caught = false;
                }
                onDropped: {
                }
            }
        }

Ok, lets start with first issue: I can only use QtQuick 2.5 in this project. Need to know, because the documentation states 2.7.

For code explanation:
    dopZone.containsDrag is only true, if the drag is moved. stopping the movement will set "containsDrag" to false immediately. Also dropZone.drag.source is null when the drag is not moving. I proved this by using a timer which prints out both in 10ms interval.
    So for my project, I have to check if the dropZone already contains an object. This is why I did:

onEntered:{
                       if (dropRect.droppedObject === undefined) {
                       drag.source.caught = true;
                       }
                }

This piece is working at the first glance, but then I faced an issue. If the object leaves the area, I have to set

onExited: {
                        dropRect.droppedObject = undefined
                        drag.source.caught = false;
                }

So far so good. The problem is, that onExited is also emitted, when I only drop the Drag. The manual states:

exited()

This signal is emitted when a drag exits the bounds of a DropArea.

The corresponding handler is onExited.

Source
    So my understanding is, that my drag did not leave the bounds of the DropArea, but onExited is emitted anyway.

Next issue:

onDropped: {
                }

onDropped is never emitted. Manual states:

dropped(DragEvent drop)

This signal is emitted when a drop event occurs within the bounds of a DropArea.

The corresponding handler is onDropped.

Source

Can anyone give me a hint why this signal is not emitted? Is there another way to find out when a drag is dropped?

MAybe all this issues are caused because I use 2.5 instead of 2.7, maybe they are caused because I have a misunderstanding of the manual. Anyway, to proceed, it would be great if someone can give me some hints or workarounds.

Thank you all guys in advance.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.