QByteArray to qlonglong

• What am I doing wrong? I am parsing a binary file, reading 4 bytes at the current position in the file:

QByteArray seconds(playback_file.read(4));

This appears to work correctly in that the bytes in the array match the file:

seconds	"\022$uX"	QByteArray
    	[0]	    	18    	0x12	char
    	[1]	'$' 	36    	0x24	char
    	[2]	'u' 	117    	0x75	char
    	[3]	'X' 	88    	0x58	char

This is from my hex dump of the file at the same spot (pos 8-11):

61 6f 70 20 01 01 20 20 12 24 75 58 40 b7 03 20  

However, when I try to convert the array to a qlonglong, it fails:

bool ok;
      qlonglong ll_seconds = seconds.toLongLong(&ok, 16);

Locals		
    	ll_seconds	0	int64
    	ok	false	bool
    	seconds	"\022$uX"	QByteArray

• Moderators

toLongLong is not for byte mangling. It interprets the bytes as characters of a string i.e. it would convert a string "123" into an integer 123.
    If you want to just use the bytes directly use the bytes directly:

qlonglong foo = *reinterpret_cast<const qlonglong*>(seconds.constData());

Note that you might have to reverse the array first, depending on your data format and executable endianness. For platform independent format you might want to take a look at QDataStream.

• @Chris-Kawa said in QByteArray to qlonglong:

toLongLong is not for byte mangling. It interprets the bytes as characters of a string i.e. it would convert a string "123" into an integer 123.
    If you want to just use the bytes directly use the bytes directly:

qlonglong foo = *reinterpret_cast<const qlonglong*>(seconds.constData());

Note that you might have to reverse the array first, depending on your data format and executable endianness. For platform independent format you might want to take a look at QDataStream.

Thanks! I might have missed something but it wasn't obvious to me from the documentation that there was an assumption of string format in those QByteArray functions. It seems a bit counter-intuitive.

I switched it to use the QDataStream and its working fine now. I don't have an endianness concern right now, but who knows where this tool will be used in the future.

• Moderators

Yeah, for better or worse QByteArray has grown to be kind of a "safer const char*" in that it's not only for storing bytes, as the name would suggest, but also provides a variety of functions that you would expect from a string handling class. It's in the docs

QByteArray can be used to store both raw bytes (including '\0's) and traditional 8-bit '\0'-terminated strings. Using QByteArray is much more convenient than using const char *. Behind the scenes, it always ensures that the data is followed by a '\0' terminator, and uses implicit sharing (copy-on-write) to reduce memory usage and avoid needless copying of data.

but I do think it has grabbed more functionality than it should. Oh well...

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.