Has anybody got N950 proto yet ...

• Has anybody got the mail or actually device for the app development from the Qt yet ?

• No not yet.. Looks like Nokia will dispatch the kits for selected Qt Ambassadors ( You must have already got mail if you are selected ) this week.

• Reddy, how long it will take to select someone Qt ambassadors?
    [quote author="Vijay Bhaska Reddy" date="1310373798"]No not yet.. Looks like Nokia will dispatch the kits for selected Qt Ambassadors ( You must have already got mail if you are selected ) this week. [/quote]

• It largely depends on the number of application waiting in the queue I guess.
    Once its selected, you should be getting a mail saying so.

For me it took at least 2-3 weeks to get a mail that I am selected as Qt Ambassador after I posted my application details.

And looks like applications developed in QML seems to have more chances ( may be I am wrong ).

• Thank you , Reddy!
    [quote author="Vijay Bhaska Reddy" date="1310374388"]It largely depends on the number of application waiting in the queue I guess. Once its selected, you should be getting a mail saying so. For me it took at least 2-3 weeks to get a mail that I am selected as Qt Ambassador after I posted my application details. And looks like applications developed in QML seems to have more chances ( may be I am wrong ). [/quote]

• Email: received.
    Phone: waiting.
    Application: started this weekend ;-)

• Thanks Vijay.

I am afraid that at the time of application details i have entered different email ID and i am register to different email. May be that should not matter or may be it should.

• I am not sure. May be you want to send a mail with all these details to qt-ambassador@nokia.com.

• Vishwajeet: Hi, all Qt Ambassadors selected to be part of the Nokia N9 developer program has been notified. If selected, the e-mail is sent to the e-mail address that you had entered in to the application form.

• danm, i did not get it :(

• Thank you very very much, the device is lovely! I already moved my only sim card to use N950 as my primary device :)
    It was very quick delivery; yesterday I received the post office following code.
    This morning, there he was, the delivery man, and me still sleeping at 9:45 AM (on my summer vacation) :D

• Have fun with the kit, I'm still waiting for my following code (so it seems that the device hasn't been shipped my way yet). I did get an email from Marianne though that my paper work has been received and I've been added to the shipment list. Fingers crossed I'll be getting the device soon :)

@matrixx so you are really getting used to the device and using it as you primary phone? You know that Nokia might request it back anytime?

• @matrixx, great to know that you got the device. How does it feel.. is it stable to use as a primary phone??

Did you get any mail from Nokia saying that device has been shipped...???

• [quote author="ZapB" date="1310375849"]Email: received.
    Phone: waiting.
    Application: started this weekend ;-)[/quote]

Nice Zapp, congrats!

• Building with the emulator is turning out to be a mission impossible. Hope they courier it soon. Got no word about shipping.
    @matrixx Hope unlike N9, N950 has a mini sim slot

• July 30 ;(, pleas no! It's ages from now. Where did you get the info? The email I got from Marianne suggested that they should be/start shipping the devices this week, and matrixx seems to have been lucky enough to land at the front of the queue. Which I think we should all as gentleman be ok with ("Ladies first").

• Hi
    Sorry the July 30 dead line was is for the Launch pad members not Qt ambasadors Thank God
    *SOURCE - JUNE Nokia Publish Newsletter - *
    http://wl4.peer360.com/b/UOa516whJ00RNv64Ti7W/main.asp?hl=102667504
    How to Request the Nokia N950 Developer Kit for N9 Development
    LAST LINE

• @kkrzewniak; Thanks, I'll do my best to enjoy with the kit :) I think this is perfectly usable as primary phone already. I know Nokia might request it back anytime, but that's not a problem, I didn't throw my N8 to trash bin or anything ;) Though as an emotional person I felt sorry for N8 as being ditched even it was a perfectly great phone :D
    What comes to the shipment, I was one of the lucky people who live in Finland, and I think the shipments are done from here.. so I guess I was one of the first ones because of that :)

@Vijay; Bhaska Reddy Before receiving the package, I got an email which gave me the post office following code. So I took that as a notification that my shipment has started :)

@senu188; Don't worry, N950 has the "normal" sim slot. Though I need to prepare and get a mini sim also if I'm going to buy N9 ;)

I just finished porting one of my Qt @ symbian^3 applications to harmattan and I'm now wondering if it's ok to publish a harmattan application already to Ovi Store, even if it can't be tested with real N9 yet?

edited: ***.. sevel "at" signs made my post look like code :D

• Hi
    I think you can go ahead and publish the app since it's been tested on N950. I also believe - though not sure - that unless there is transgression of contract terms (like bad mouthing N950 etc), Nokia will not ask the device back. What will they do with the prototype any way?

• Oh right, I will try submitting my app tomorrow, if Ovi Store will accept it already :)

@rselva123; I think that even if there is no "good reason" like bad mouthing or anything, contracts are contracts and we should respect them. That means that we shouldn't take anything for granted and be prepared for anything. Of course it's no probable that these lovely devices will be collected off, but you'll never know :)

• Hi all,

Shipping of N950s has started, but since all distribution ( Qt Ambassadors, MeeGo community, Nokia Launchpad and so on) goes through Nokia Finland, it might take a few weeks to send out all the devices. I'm not sure if everyone will receive a shipping number / notification, but I'll send an e-mail to the coordinator and ask.

Anyways, the devices should be right around the corner! Thanks for your patience :-)

• *@matrixx *Please find the ovistore entry test requirement for N9 apps -
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia.com/id/44affcd1-ceba-4aca-8b65-670ce2cbbd1e/MeeGo_1_2_Harmattan_Applications_Ovi_Store_Entry_Requirements.html

I may add that I see no difference than normal rules except the swipe to exit option which I believe basically means Harmattan apps should not have an 'Quit/ Exit' button as the swipe will quit the app.

• [quote author="rselva123" date="1310701377"]*@matrixx *Please find the ovistore entry test requirement for N9 apps -
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia.com/id/44affcd1-ceba-4aca-8b65-670ce2cbbd1e/MeeGo_1_2_Harmattan_Applications_Ovi_Store_Entry_Requirements.html

I may add that I see no difference than normal rules except the swipe to exit option which I believe basically means Harmattan apps should not have an 'Quit/ Exit' button as the swipe will quit the app.[/quote]

My understanding has been is that swipe does not exit the application, but only puts it in the back ground. If user wants to exit the application, I don't see a reason why Quit/Exit button should not be provided.

• The Quit/Exit button would waste some screen space, and there is a uniform way of closing apps on Harmattan (one that does not require a button form the app it self), but I'm far from saying that it's prohibited to have a quit button.

Thanks Marianne, very nice of you to keeping us informed. :)

• @rselva123 and @kkrzewniak Thanks for your tips!
    Swipe will only move the applications to "recents" view where all running applications live.
    I also have a "Quit" button in my app, but in this case it doesn't take more space than without it, since it's in my app's main view, which has plenty of other buttons too, in a grid.
    I think I'll keep the "Quit" button if it's not strictly prohibited, if someone wants to really close the app quickly without swiping it away and then shutting down :)

Edited to add a tip:
    To get orientation switching working in your app on harmattan, prepare to use QtQuick Harmattan Components, and especially components PageStackWindow and Page to achieve it, it's not going to work with plain QML.

• @matrixx, where did you get the documented help for all Qt Quick Components of harmattan. There was a blog I have seen, but no official documentation from Nokia/Qt I guess??

• @Vijay Bhaska Reddy From Nokia Developer library: http://library.developer.nokia.com/index.jsp?topic=/MeeGo_1.2_Harmattan_API/html/guide/html/Developer_Library_Reference_documentation_e469.html
    Among this "Porting to Harmattan" guide, there are lots of useful info about Harmattan APIs :)

• [quote author="matrixx" date="1310720666"]@Vijay Bhaska Reddy From Nokia Developer library: http://library.developer.nokia.com/index.jsp?topic=/MeeGo_1.2_Harmattan_API/html/guide/html/Developer_Library_Reference_documentation_e469.html
    Among this "Porting to Harmattan" guide, there are lots of useful info about Harmattan APIs :)[/quote]

Thanks for the information. Have been searching for it.

The real meat is here @ http://library.developer.nokia.com/index.jsp?topic=/MeeGo_1.2_Harmattan_API/html/guide/html/Developer_Library_Reference_documentation_e469.html

• I went through the apps[listed in the porting to Harmattan guide ] updated for Harmattan. I don't really see much of a difference. I too would rather have a quit button as any normal app user will definitely search for one though all ported examples hide quit button in Harmattan mode.
    I am not sure how to lock the orientation though and how to make the app full screen ?
    @#if defined(Q_WS_MAEMO6)
    view.showFullScreen();@ doesn't work
    *@ matrixx Any hint ? *The ported examples don't SEEM to have any specific full screen code for Harmattan.
    EDITED AFTER CHECKING 'COMPASS' EXAMPLE
    got it -
    @#if defined(Q_WS_HARMATTAN) || defined(Q_OS_SYMBIAN) || defined(Q_WS_SIMULATOR)
    37 mainWindow->setGeometry(QApplication::desktop()->screenGeometry());
    38 mainWindow->showFullScreen();
    39 #else
    40 mainWindow->setGeometry((QRect(100, 100, 640, 360)));
    41 mainWindow->show();
    42 #endif@

• [quote author="matrixx" date="1310718867"]

Edited to add a tip:
    To get orientation switching working in your app on harmattan, prepare to use QtQuick Harmattan Components, and especially components PageStackWindow and Page to achieve it, it's not going to work with plain QML.[/quote]
    Hi
    How would that work ? Do I need to shift all QML code into 'Page' ? If I have say 8 QML files will I need to put in those in separate pages ? Would putting just the main QML into page suffice to lock the orientation ?
    Sorry the emulator is sooooooooooo slow I am unable to test and I really want to port one of my apps before the device comes.

• I did just the minimum required, I created new project with the "Harmattan application" template which creates the needed components for me. Then I just included my own "main.qml" inside the MainPage.qml provided by the template, with only small modifications (removing extra toolbar + hello world example).
    What comes to fullscreen app, removing the toolbar from the qml components should provide you the full screen app :)

• [quote author="senu188" date="1310731381"]
    Sorry the emulator is sooooooooooo slow I am unable to test and I really want to port one of my apps before the device comes.
    [/quote]
    Use the Nokia Remote Device Service. They have added N950 device too. Also while adding quit button is nice, the UI guidelines of Harmattan apps doesn't require a Quit/ Exit button.

• Sending this message from the n950 which has just arrived. First impressions are that it's very very slick.

• Just got mine too. Super device, time to code :D the keyboard rocks.

• Got mine today, too. Many thanks.

• [quote author="ZapB" date="1310980121"]Sending this message from the n950 which has just arrived. First impressions are that it's very very slick.[/quote]

I received my test device last week and the first impressions are very good although certain minor things that should be improved. I think that when N9 is ready it will be extremely impressive device :)

I am already working on a simple Qt location app for MeeGo on n950. I hope to have first release for MeeGo and Symbian really soon. What are guys planning to develop with your n950?

• Hi leon.anavi. I'm quite far into the development of a QML-based graphing calculator and I also want to get a more functional version of my embryonic QtDevNet client up and running.

• [quote author="ZapB" date="1310990205"]Hi leon.anavi. I'm quite far into the development of a QML-based graphing calculator and I also want to get a more functional version of my embryonic QtDevNet client up and running.[/quote]

I remember that you posted a couple of nice QML code snippets at the wiki so I am looking forward to see your QML-based calculator :)

My knowledge of QML is still very limited so I will count on native Qt for C++ and the Qt Mobility API. I hope that I will be able to port easily the app to Symbian and to publish it in Ovi.

• Still waiting for it to arrive .. I stay in India far away from Finland... so it is expected to take more time to reach here.. :)

But good to know that all of you are enjoying the device.

Did anybody flash community edition on to N950, how is it working ...

• Yes I got one at Nokia Australia today at developer day for Qt and Meego. It had to be flashed using oneclickflasher on Mac as Windows oneclickflasher made N950 unstable. Luckily we had a Mac user there with oneclickflasher who flashed most of the N950s given out for a month till the competition closes in August. Digia tutor helped us avoid using the Windows oneclickflasher. Nokia were not very useful. We had to do the flashing ourselves instead of them preparing them before the day-long seminar. Flashing took about 1 hour to download the software and 10-20 minutes to flash the N950 - quite time consuming. I have not managed to get a connection yet but will work on the network settings and try again with Qt SDK IDE for Windows. I access the N950 via USB. A Windows driver from c:\qtsdk\madde\usbdriver on Windows had to be installed to find the device on the network connections as it did not install properly in the Windows Qt SDK IDE.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.