How to reduce build time?

• I have made a large project on Qt Creator. Qt is taking much time to build even if i change one line in .cpp file. What are the tips to reduce build time?

I have made one common.h in which I have included all Widgets like #include <QPushButton>
    I am adding that common.h to my cpp files.

• Hi,
    Some thoughts:

1. use forward declaration
    2. include only what You do use
    3. enable PCH

Main speed up comes from 1 and 3, on MSVC PCH do increase compilation time amazingly, on gcc and clang not so much (i.e. my large project on MSVC resulted in speed up from 3 min to 40sec ! while, same project, on Android and clang speed was around 15sec).

PS. I do assume that You do use jom and on clang and gcc -j flags to enable multi threaded support. If not then:
    msvc -> jom or use, IIRC, /N <Your CPU supported thread count> + 1 i.e. /N 9 for quad core
    clang / gcc -> -j 9
    This is added in project make arguments as above

• Qt Champions 2016

@mit_cruze said in How to reduce build time?:

I have made one common.h in which I have included all Widgets like #include <QPushButton>

Don't do that and build time will improve. Additionally, use templates sparingly and if you do, manually instantiate them.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.