QCameraImageCapture moveToThread error

• I am sort of new to Qt and am trying to sort out how to work with the QCamera and QCameraImageCapture technology.

I have the QCamera and QCameraImageCapture in a thread with no ui. The invocation of the thread is:

QCameraImageCapture theImageCapture = new ImageCapture();
    QThread* theImageThread = new QThread();
    theImageCapture->moveToThread(theImageThread);

connect(theImageThread, SIGNAL(started()), theImageCapture, SLOT(process()));
    connect(theImageCapture, SIGNAL(finished()), theImageThread, SLOT(quit()));

connect(theImageThread, SIGNAL(finished()), theImageThread, SLOT(deleteLater()));
    theImageThread->start();

The imageCapture instance instantiates a QCamera and a QCameraImageCapture. All of this code is taken from the camera demo.

the captureImage process method is:

void ImageCapture::process()
    {
        inProcess = true;
        isRunning = true;

while (inProcess)
        {
            sync.lock();
            inProcess = isRunning;
            sync.unlock();

if (isReadyForCapture){
                toggleLock();
                takeImage();
                toggleLock();
            }
        }
        emit finished();
    }

The image is sent to a widget for processing with:

void ImageCapture::processCapturedImage(int requestId, const QImage& img)
    {
        Q_UNUSED(requestId);
        QImage scaledImage = img.scaled(QSize(400, 300), //ui->viewfinder->size(),
                                        Qt::KeepAspectRatio,
                                        Qt::SmoothTransformation);

thePixmap = QPixmap::fromImage(scaledImage);
        emit ProcessPixmap(thePixmap);
    }

The process works for a few images before I get the message

QObject::moveToThread: Current thread (0x2775377aa10) is not the object's thread (0x2775377c540).
    Cannot move to target thread (0x277536ad1f0)

And after the message the images continue to be sent to the Widget.

If I comment out the takeImage() line in the thread process line the message goes away. I do not have a view finder connected to the camera.

What did I do wrong that causes the message?

Is there an alternative approach to the situation. What I want to do is take an image periodically, get the QPixmap of the image so I can draw on it, and then write it to a Widget.

• Qt Champions 2016

@nefarious said in QCameraImageCapture moveToThread error:

QObject::moveToThread: Current thread (0x2775377aa10) is not the object's thread (0x2775377c540).
    Cannot move to target thread (0x277536ad1f0)

It appears you're trying to "pull" an object from a thread, so that's why Qt's complaining. QObject::moveToThread is NOT thread safe and can be used only from the thread the object currently resides to "push" into another.

On a related note you shouldn't use pixmaps from worker threads QPixmap::fromImage (assuming processCapturedImage is run in the worker). The QPixmap class isn't reentrant.

Kind regards.

• It is interesting. I changed the implementation to use a timer in the widget so I have no QThreads of my own and I still get the message. Is there a way to catch the message, I get the error when I run from the ide, but when I run as a real application I can't know that something is wrong, and handle the situation or write a status.

If even anything is wrong.

I can show all of the capture error messages and the camera error messages and none are shown.

Like I said, I am new the qt and trying to figure this out. The message quotes a thread address, it looks like an address, is there a way to find what thread is causing the message.

• Qt Champions 2016

The "easy" way is to put a breakpoint in Qt's source where the message is emitted and just walk through the stack to see what call causes it.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.