Need more Info on QSplitter & how it is replacing QLayouts.

• I've seen that QSplitter can be an alternate for QLayouts but i din't find more information on how splitter deals with laying out widgets.
    I'm aware of it's advantages like being able to resize child widgets inside a splitter but i want to know more details about how it replaces layouts like,

• Does it respect sizepolicies & sizehints as layouts
    • Does it have a default sizepolicy as a layout (in which case it won't respect child widget sizepolicies i think)

Also, i'm interested in knowing how splitter handles child widgets which already have layouts. Does it recieve QEvent::LayoutRequest & passes it on to child widgets.?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

QSplitter doesn't replace a layout. You just have widgets side by side or on top of each other but thats all.

What is your use case ?

• Thanks for responding @SGaist ,

Can you elaborate on what you meant by "QSplitter doesn't replace a layout. You just have widgets side by side or on top of each other but thats all".
    I know that when i use a splitter inside a widget, i can use it as a layout. Do you mean i still need a layout (even though i have a splitter).?

My use case is that i have some widgets with layouts installed on them. But i want to include splitters on top of that widget so that i can add more widgets to a single splitter & also have nested splitters inside a splitter.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Layouts are used to setup how the elements of your complex widgets are positioned.

A splitter is a "container", it won't do any special handling of what can be found inside the widgets you put in it.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.