How to divide a larger project in Qt C++

• Hi all.

I have always been a C# programmer who has used some C++ (mainly C# wrappers that interact with C++) in my current project but I want to learn how to use Qt so I can create my app for other OS types.

I have been playing around with the samples and tutorials that come with Qt.

Currently I have a semi large project in C# I would like to try to convert to Qt C++.

In C# I have learned to separate logic so it's easy to maintain and debug. For Example instead of having your database SQL queries all over the place you can create a class in 1 place and use that when needed.. If I ever had a SQL issue I knew what section I should start looking.

http://www.eatoncode.com/resources/shareit/TrafficBrowser_MasterSolution_-_Microsoft_Visual_Studio_2016-10-25_19.17.15.png

I would like to do this in Qt C+ if it's possible. I have looked at a few examples that Qt provides and I don't really see any good examples of larger projects. So I wonder if it's a preference or a specific reason why. I am hoping and guessing it's to be simplistic.

I loaded a larger example in Qt.

http://www.eatoncode.com/resources/shareit/RibbonControls.pro_qtitanribbon_Qt_Creator_2016-10-25_19.24.36.png

I see that you can include .pri files inside .pro files... you can even call other .pri files from .pri files.. but what I don't understand is how to create a .pri file.

Am I on the right track to separate my logic? Or am I going about it wrong and there is an easier way ? At the end of the day I want a project that's easy to maintain and understand.

This might be a totally noobie question that I should already know, but I don't so I am asking how do you handle your larger project ?

Thanks,
    David

• Moderators

@EatonCode said in How to divide a larger project in Qt C++:

I see that you can include .pri files inside .pro files... you can even call other .pri files from .pri files.. but what I don't understand is how to create a .pri file.

A .pri file isn't any different from a .pro file. They are just named differently to mark them as include files.
    The best bigger project how to separate code is Qt source code itself ;)
    There you can see and check the pro files of the different (sub-)modules how they include their stuff. Then the rest is just "learning" qmake variables.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.