QJSEngine vs. (deprecated) QScriptEngine performance - old thing winning!

• Re: QScriptEngine vs. QJSEngine?

I was given a task to compare performance scripting solutions in Qt and to my surprise QScriptEngine was the absolute winner of the contest, especially with the ability of keeping pre-parsed script in QScriptProgram.
    The evaluation of 30.000 expressions was 3-6 times better on first evaluation round, 6-30 times on the repeated evaluation (depending on formulae complexity reaching from simple calculation "100 + (5/1.23)" to more complicated 2 line expressions with some variable bindings).

I was truly astonished that QJSEngine performed that miserably at simple calculations as it is the engine powering QML. Maybe QJSEngine-QQmlEngine is optimized toward property notifications/changes, maybe this performance gap is the reason why QtScript was not yet been phased out.
    Maybe I am completely wrong in general. Anyone else experienced this?

Code involved is here in https://bitbucket.org/kovis/qtscripting/commits/501e8c4264cd124fd1ec6b82670d6f947c9c2859?at=default

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

I'd recommend bringing this to the interest mailing list. You'll find there Qt's developers/maintainers. This forum is more user oriented.

• You were right, Ulf Hermann on the interest mailing list pointed me very swiftly to the way how QJSEngine can do precompiled things.

QJSValue fun = myEngine.evaluate("(function(a, b) { return a + b;})");
    QJSValueList args; args << 1 << 2;
    QJSValue threeAgain = fun.call(QJSValue(), args); regards,

So you need to keep the precompiled functions and corresponding myEngine alive and the evaluation runs very quickly, beating the QScriptEngine

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.