// other operations

exec();
        }
    private:
        QSqlDatabase conn;

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    {
        QApplication a(argc, argv);

DatabaseThread *thread1 = new DatabaseThread("connname1", /*other connection params*/);
        thread1->start();

DatabaseThread *thread2 = new DatabaseThread("connname2", /*other connection params*/);
        thread2->start();

return a.exec();
    }

Output :

QObject::moveToThread: Current thread (0x50ef60) is not the object's thread (0x50efb0).
    Cannot move to target thread (0x4f01d8)

"Can't create TCP/IP socket (10093) QMYSQL: Unable to connect"

BUT

DatabaseThread *thread1 = new DatabaseThread("connname1", /*other connection params*/);
        thread1->start();

QThread::msleep(2000);  // new code

DatabaseThread *thread2 = new DatabaseThread("connname2", /*other connection params*/);
        thread2->start();

No Problem.

• @_compiler

I am not an expert in either threads or databases but I have used both successfully. Since nobody else has replied yet I'll give you some of my thoughts.

There is a thread out there about how to do Qt threads correctly. It suggests not subclassing a QThread but rather having a worker class and sending one of its objects to a QThread object using moveToThread. In your case the worker class would be a database connection. You do the initialisation, connect signals and slots for communication prior to doing the moveToThread.

I have had much luck with this model. There are some who say it usually won't matter, but they fail to say when it will and I don't know enough about threads to tell you if yours is a case when it would. All I can say is it has always worked for me.

As for databases, I'm a fan of Postgres, although I would think MySQL would probably have pretty much the same performance. I have never needed to go to threads because of database performance issues. My applications are on the light side though, being used in a small office. Still, you may consider threads as being a premature optimization of your program. A lot of the logic can be offloaded to the server using stored procedures, so your app doesn't need to work very hard at all.

Mike

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.