From 10:00 CET Friday 22nd November we will adjust how the server works to deal with some recently reported problems. Therefore there may be a load problem, if you experience more problems than usual trying to access the forum then please PM AndyS or any of the moderators so they can inform me.

Smart way to connect QML GUI objects to C++ audio processing chain?

• Okay, I am wracked with indecision!

I'm building an audio synthesis application with a minimal "patcher" style interface, in the vein of languages like Max and Pd. A QML scroll area represents the C++ audio processing tree. Drag and drop QML items represent any single C++ audio processing unit in that tree.

Right now, when a QML audio unit is created in the patcher window by the user, the QML item calls a Q_INVOKE method on the C++ audio processing tree. The tree instantiates an equivalent C++ audio class and passes it a pointer to the QML item. The C++ instance is connected to its QML representation via signals and slots. For example:

//QML is created and invokes C++ method to 
    //create equivalent audio processor, passes itself
    //for signal/slot connection
        function create() {
            created = true
            graph.createItem(this, type)
        }

//C++ synthesis tree creates the proper instance and
    //sets the pointer to QML GUI item
    void SynthGraph::createItem(QObject* gui, int type)
    {
        switch (type){
        case OSCILLATOR: {
            SynthItem* item = new Oscillator();
            item->setMyGui(gui);
            break;
        }
        default:
            break;
        }
    }

//C++ class connects signals and slot for communicating
    //to its GUI representation
    void SynthItem::connectGui()
    {
        QObject::connect(myGui, SIGNAL(destroyed(QObject*)),
                         this, SLOT(requestDelete()));

QObject::connect(myGui, SIGNAL(testSignal(QString)),
                         this, SLOT(testSlot(QString)));
    }

But like I said, I'm freaking out! The more documentation I read, the more doubts I have. Is this sensible from a code readability and performance point of view? Should I be making the audio processing classes instantiable from QML instead? Embedding the C++ object into the corresponding QML item? Does it even matter how I do this!? :)