Linking OpenGL Lib for MinGW and Visual Studio

• Hi all,

I am using (or I have to use) MinGW and Visual Studio compiler for the same project (Windows 10, Qt 5.6.1, MinGW 4.9.2, MSVC2015).
    I can compile my project on linux, so this is not a problem.
    I have to add tje OpenGL Lib to the project on Windows, otherwise it doesn't link. I used to use MSVC with the following setting:

win32:LIBS += opengl32.lib    # for visual studio

Now I want to use MinGW in addition to the MSVC2015. And therefore I have to change this code:

win32:LIBS += libopengl32     # for mingw

But this collides with the MSVC2015, because this isn't working for both linkers at the same time.

win32:LIBS += -Lopengl32      # doesn't work either, for both.

It's kind of funny, because on Linux "LIBS += libopengl32" is not necessary.

Is there any kind of seperation of compilers or kits in the pro file?
    Does anyone have an idea?

Kind regards
    Oliver

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

What do you mean by you have to use both for the same project ? Do you mean get it to compile entirely with each them or trying to build parts of your project with each ?

In any case, you shouldn't need to explicitly add the OpenGL library since Qt uses them already and will link your application accordingly.

• Hi,

I mean I have to compile the entire project with different compilers, so I have two builds of the project each running with another Qt runtime library.

I use OpenGL in my application like this.
    My class:

class GLWidget : public QOpenGLWidget, protected QOpenGLFunctions

My code:

glLineWidth( 1.0f );
    glColor3f( color.red() / 255.0, color.green() / 255.0, color.blue() / 255.0 );

glBegin( GL_LINE_STRIP );
    for( int j = 0; j < polyline->count(); j++ )
    {
        glVertex2f( polyline->at( j ).x(), polyline->at( j ).y() );
    }
    glEnd();

When I remove "win32:LIBS += opengl32.lib" I get these linker errors (and more). So I think it is necessary on Windows, but it is not on Linux. It would be nice if it would not be necessary for Windows.

plotter.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__glBegin@4 referenced in function "public: void __thiscall GLWidget::drawDistanceLine(class QPointF,class QPointF,class QColor,class QColor)" (?    drawDistanceLine@GLWidget@@QAEXVQPointF@@0VQColor@@1@Z)
    plotter.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__glColor3f@12 referenced in function "public: void __thiscall GLWidget::drawDistanceLine(class QPointF,class QPointF,class QColor,class QColor)" (?drawDistanceLine@GLWidget@@QAEXVQPointF@@0VQColor@@1@Z)

Any explanations?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

AFAIK, glBegin is part of the fixed pipeline so if you want to use it you need to inherit from another set of QOpenGLFunctions.

• Thanks,

I inherit from QOpenGLFunctions_3_0 and that works for me.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.