How to prevent QtCreator from adding suffix "_d" to the libraries in the Debug mode?

• Hello,

My Qt project links with the library python27.lib on Windows 8.1. The .pro file contains the following line:

win32:LIBS += C:\Python27_11\libs\python27.lib

When building the project in Release mode, it links correctly with python27.lib.

When building the project in Debug mode, it looks for python27_d.lib:

Error: LNK1104: cannot open file 'python27_d.lib'

How to enforce linking with python27.lib in the Debug mode?

Thank you in advance!

Roni.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Looks pretty strange. AFAIK, Qt Creator doesn't do such thing (it just use qmake under the hood)

What version of Qt and Qt Creator are you using ?

On a side note, you should always use forward slashes when using Qt even on Windows. It will be handled properly for you.

• Thank you for the response, SGaist. I agree that it might be qmake doing. However it's input must be based on parameters passed down to it by QtCreator when the Debug mode is selected.

The version info:
    Qt Creator 3.5.1 (opensource)
    Based on Qt 5.5.1 (MSVC 2013, 32 bit)
    The OS is Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit

Please see the complete compile output below. Thank you!

15:33:51: Running steps for project python...
    15:33:51: Starting: "C:\Qt\5.5\msvc2012\bin\qmake.exe" C:\Test\src\experimental\python.pro -r -spec win32-msvc2012 "CONFIG+=debug"
    15:33:52: The process "C:\Qt\5.5\msvc2012\bin\qmake.exe" exited normally.
    15:33:52: Starting: "C:\Qt\Tools\QtCreator\bin\jom.exe" 
    	C:\Qt\Tools\QtCreator\bin\jom.exe -f Makefile.Debug
    	cl -c -nologo -Zc:wchar_t -Zi -MDd -GR -W3 -w34100 -w34189 -w44996 -EHsc /Fddebug\my_python.pdb -DUNICODE -DWIN32 -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -I..\experimental -I. -I..\..\..\..\Python27_11\include -I..\..\..\..\Qt\5.5\msvc2012\include -I..\..\..\..\Qt\5.5\msvc2012\include\QtGui -I..\..\..\..\Qt\5.5\msvc2012\include\QtANGLE -I..\..\..\..\Qt\5.5\msvc2012\include\QtCore -Idebug -I..\..\..\..\Qt\5.5\msvc2012\mkspecs\win32-msvc2012 -Fodebug\ @C:\Users\RONISI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\python.obj.4660.16.jom
    python.cc
    ..\experimental\python.cc(3) : warning C4100: 'argc' : unreferenced formal parameter
    	echo 1 /* CREATEPROCESS_MANIFEST_RESOURCE_ID */ 24 /* RT_MANIFEST */ "debug\\my_python.exe.embed.manifest">debug\my_python.exe_manifest.rc
    	if not exist debug\my_python.exe if exist debug\my_python.exe.embed.manifest del debug\my_python.exe.embed.manifest
    	if exist debug\my_python.exe.embed.manifest copy /Y debug\my_python.exe.embed.manifest debug\my_python.exe_manifest.bak
    	link /NOLOGO /DYNAMICBASE /NXCOMPAT /DEBUG /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS "/MANIFESTDEPENDENCY:type='win32' name='Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls' version='6.0.0.0' publicKeyToken='6595b64144ccf1df' language='*' processorArchitecture='*'" /MANIFEST /MANIFESTFILE:debug\my_python.exe.embed.manifest /OUT:debug\my_python.exe @C:\Users\RONISI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\my_python.exe.4660.422.jom
    LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'python27_d.lib'
    jom: C:\Test\src\build-python-Desktop_Qt_5_5_1_MSVC2012_32bit-Debug\Makefile.Debug [debug\my_python.exe] Error 1104
    jom: C:\Test\src\build-python-Desktop_Qt_5_5_1_MSVC2012_32bit-Debug\Makefile [debug] Error 2
    15:33:52: The process "C:\Qt\Tools\QtCreator\bin\jom.exe" exited with code 2.
    Error while building/deploying project python (kit: Desktop Qt 5.5.1 MSVC2012 32bit)
    When executing step "Make"
    15:33:52: Elapsed time: 00:01.

• Qt Champions 2016

@roni219 said:

win32:LIBS += C:\Python27_11\libs\python27.lib

When I link on windows I always use the *nix syntax and it has never given me any problems. Although it's a long-shot, perhaps you can try that?

win32:LIBS += -LC:/Python27_11/libs -lpython27

• Thank you for the suggestion, kshegunov. Yes, I tried the syntax earlier, and the result was the same.

• Qt Champions 2016

@roni219
    This is certainly strange. Currently nothing comes to mind.
    As a sort of side note, are you using shadow building? Perhaps that is (or rather not using it is) causing the _d suffix being added ...

• No, I do not use the shadow building.

Based on my online research other people also experienced the issue. Unfortunately non of their posts on various forums was followed up with a solution.

• Solved - the problem is with Python.h, not with QtCreator or qmake.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Ok, that strangeā€¦

Thanks for sharing !

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.