Best approximation to a QWidget controller -> view schema

• Hello,

I am trying to develop an application that can have multiple instances of a Widget that, let's say, connects to an API and synchronizes some data and saves it to disk.

I have a QFrame (let's call it MyWidgetView) for the view, with a Start/Stop button, several labels to display information and 2 combos to select what data from the API needs to be synchronized.

Then I have a QObject (let's call it MyWidgetController) that does the job of connecting to the API, processing the data, generating a CSV file, etc.

Finally, in the MainWindow class, I create as many pairs of MyWidgetView and MyWidgetController as I need, assigning a Controller instance to its view and then adding the view to a horizontalLayout.

When I click the Start button of the view, I can call the controllers' start() method, since I have a pointer from the view to the controller.

But when I want to update the view given some event produced on the controller, what should I do?

• Connect the controller to the view through a "updateView()" signal and then from the view query for the data required? (this is my current approximation, but ineficient when the view grows)
    • Create as many signals as needed? updateCombo1(), updateLabelRemaining(), updateBackgroundColor(), ...
    • Pass a pointer of the view to the controller, just as I pass a controller pointer to the view?

Is this approximation of linking view and controller correct? Am I missing some step?

Thank you so much.

• Moderators

Hi, and welcome to the Qt forum! Your controller shouldn't have any knowlegde about the user interface. So, no updateCombobox signals etc. Expose the data that the UI should read / write as properties in the controller and connect the UI to them via signals.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.