Compiler internal error while compiling qtwebengine

• Hi All,

I am trying to compile on a 4-core atom pc and get the following error

make[3]: Entering directory '/home/bmentink/Builds/qt5/qtwebengine/src/core'
    /home/bmentink/Builds/qt5/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/ninja/ninja -C /home/bmentink/Builds/qt5/qtwebengine/src/core/Release
    ninja: Entering directory `/home/bmentink/Builds/qt5/qtwebengine/src/core/Release'
    [6/9593] CXX obj/src/3rdparty/chromium/v8/src/compiler/v8_base.frame-states.o
    FAILED: /usr/bin/g++ -MMD -MF obj/src/3rdparty/chromium/v8/src/compiler/v8_base.frame-states.o.d -DV8_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS -DTOOLKIT_QT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DNO_TCMALLOC -DCHROMIUM_BUILD -DUI_COMPOSITOR_IMAGE_TRANSPORT -DUSE_AURA=1 -DUSE_DEFAULT_RENDER_THEME=1 -DUSE_LIBJPEG_TURBO=1 -DUSE_X11=1 -DENABLE_ONE_CLICK_SIGNIN -DENABLE_PRE_SYNC_BACKUP -DENABLE_REMOTING=1 -DENABLE_WEBRTC=1 -DENABLE_MEDIA_ROUTER=1 -DENABLE_PEPPER_CDMS -DENABLE_CONFIGURATION_POLICY -DENABLE_NOTIFICATIONS -DENABLE_HIDPI=1 -DENABLE_TOPCHROME_MD=1 -DUSE_UDEV -DDONT_EMBED_BUILD_METADATA -DENABLE_TASK_MANAGER=1 -DENABLE_EXTENSIONS=1 -DENABLE_PLUGINS=1 -DENABLE_SESSION_SERVICE=1 -DENABLE_THEMES=1 -DENABLE_AUTOFILL_DIALOG=1 -DENABLE_BACKGROUND=1 -DENABLE_GOOGLE_NOW=1 -DCLD_VERSION=2 -DENABLE_PRINTING=1 -DENABLE_BASIC_PRINTING=1 -DENABLE_PRINT_PREVIEW=1 -DENABLE_SPELLCHECK=1 -DENABLE_CAPTIVE_PORTAL_DETECTION=1 -DENABLE_APP_LIST=1 -DENABLE_SETTINGS_APP=1 -DENABLE_SUPERVISED_USERS=1 -DENABLE_MDNS=1 -DENABLE_SERVICE_DISCOVERY=1 -DFULL_SAFE_BROWSING -DSAFE_BROWSING_CSD -DSAFE_BROWSING_DB_LOCAL -DSAFE_BROWSING_SERVICE -DV8_TARGET_ARCH_X64 -DV8_I18N_SUPPORT -DV8_IMMINENT_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS -DICU_UTIL_DATA_IMPL=ICU_UTIL_DATA_FILE -DU_USING_ICU_NAMESPACE=0 -DU_ENABLE_DYLOAD=0 -DU_STATIC_IMPLEMENTATION -DUSE_LIBPCI=1 -DUSE_GLIB=1 -DUSE_NSS_CERTS=1 -DNDEBUG -DNVALGRIND -DDYNAMIC_ANNOTATIONS_ENABLED=0 -I/home/bmentink/Builds/qt5/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/v8 -Igen -I/home/bmentink/Builds/qt5/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/third_party/icu/source/i18n -I/home/bmentink/Builds/qt5/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/third_party/icu/source/common -I/usr/include/libdrm -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-missing-field-initializers -fvisibility=hidden -pipe -fPIC -Wno-unused-local-typedefs -Wno-format -Wno-unused-result -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/include -m64 -march=x86-64 -m64 -fno-ident -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -funwind-tables -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -O3 -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -fno-threadsafe-statics -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -Wno-deprecated -std=gnu++11 -Wno-narrowing -Wno-literal-suffix -c /home/bmentink/Builds/qt5/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/v8/src/compiler/frame-states.cc -o obj/src/3rdparty/chromium/v8/src/compiler/v8_base.frame-states.o
    g++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)
    Please submit a full bug report,
    with preprocessed source if appropriate.
    See https://bugs.archlinux.org/ for instructions.
    [6/9593] CXX obj/src/3rdparty/chromium/v8/src/compiler/v8_base.control-builders.o
    ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
    Makefile.gyp_run:1004: recipe for target 'invoke_ninja' failed
    make[3]: *** [invoke_ninja] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/bmentink/Builds/qt5/qtwebengine/src/core'
    Makefile:99: recipe for target 'sub-gyp_run-pro-make_first' failed
    make[2]: *** [sub-gyp_run-pro-make_first] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/bmentink/Builds/qt5/qtwebengine/src/core'
    Makefile:48: recipe for target 'sub-core-make_first' failed
    make[1]: *** [sub-core-make_first] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/bmentink/Builds/qt5/qtwebengine/src'
    Makefile:44: recipe for target 'sub-src-make_first' failed
    make: *** [sub-src-make_first] Error 2

I have seen similar posts referring to lack of memory as the issue.
    I have 2G of memory but no swap as the file system is btrfs ..

Any clues on how to resolve this?

Thanks

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

What compiler and version are you using ? The usual way to solve that kind of problem is to update your compiler to a more recent version where there's a fix for that compiler error.

• I am on ArchLinux ... so the latest bleeding edge compiler ..
    I can't tell you the version as I am not on that machine at present ..

I have determined, by making a temporary swap file, that it is lack of memory that is the issue.
    I can't believe that any compile would need more that 2G of ram .... go figure ..

Cheers

• Moderators

@SGaist said:

The usual way to solve that kind of problem is to update your compiler to a more recent version where there's a fix for that compiler error.

Alternatively, downgrade to a more stable compiler. The bleeding edge might have teething problems.

See https://wiki.qt.io/Qt-5.5.0-tools-and-versions -- The latest release (Qt 5.5) is tested on GCC 4.8 and 4.9 on Linux.

• @JKSH
    I just stated .. it is a memory issue, not a compiler issue ...

• Moderators

@bmentink said:

@JKSH
    I just stated .. it is a memory issue, not a compiler issue ...

Right. I started writing my post before your update arrived.

Glad to hear you've resolved your issue.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.